Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do you feel the responsibility?    

Do you feel the responsibility?

zailda
Brazil

Do you feel the responsibility?

I �m leaving to work now but before leaving I want to ask a question. I was wondering if you have the same feeling I do: I �m preparing my students for midterm exam and when they get good grades I feel grateful but if some of them get poor grades I feel responsible for their bad performance.

I can �t help feeling depressed when some of them flunk and sometimes I ask mysefl if I had done everything I could do. I �m always looking for new techniques & ways to teach or to make them have a better learning attitude. I have been teaching for almost 12 years and still feel nervous & insecure before their exams.

I know that I do my job and everything possible to help everyone but for some of them it �s not enough. What do you think about it?

12 May 2009      

nkappa
Greece

I think there is no teacher who doesn �t feel the way you do!

But don �t forget that all kids don �t have the same level of learning things. If you have done your best then there is no point on feeling dissapointed!

It �s something that will follow us for the rest of our career! And of course that shows that you are very responsible person and also a good professional!

12 May 2009     

winky2
United Kingdom

I feel responsible - but actually I think it �s a good thing. It makes me work harder.

Some of my students has just taken an oral school leaving English exam. All of them passed, but one of them got very few points. She was very upset and I was really furious - with myself. I can �t help feeling it �s my fault. On the other hand, one student whose English is rather poor got more points than I expected and this made me very happy.

12 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Sometimes the exams given by the ministery are done based on a numbers of hours of English your students should have received. Maybe you were not able to teach those hours. Also, when prepared, they don � t take into account the social background of our students. Some poor backgrounds start school with about 2000 hours of cognitive stimulation behind those with a better social background.

It �s not always your fault if your students are not doing like you would like to. There are so many factors surrounding the preparing our students.

12 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

As long as you try to do your best, you nave no reason to feel guilty. It is sad when some students don �t want to make good grades which is what I often see in high school. It still hurts eventhough I know that I have done everything I can do to change their attitudes. I believe that we are here on this planet to make it the best place we can for each other, but that doesn �t mean that others will always listen. Please don �t blame yourself when it is out of your control.

Carla Heart

12 May 2009     

Portugal

Well, honey, let me tell you this:your feelings are absolutely normal and the research about teachers � perceptions repeats this kind of feelings over and over.
From loooong experience and thorough research: get over it, as fast as you can. It doesn�t help much.
Since you are quite sure you did what you could do, the students must do their part themselves. Unless they have special needs: there we should be more helpful.
Were you?
Then, breathe deeply and get on.
Nevertheless, the feelings show you are a reflexive teacher.
Since you are Brazilian, I could send you the chapter of my doctoral thesis about reflexive teaching.
Kisses and hugs,
Idalina

12 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

It is a very nice feeling . it means u like ur sts and care them . But we should know that there r different abilities. sts are not the the same in their abilities and levels. They r different.

But we can feel depressed when all of them or most of them take poor grades. Here , we will be responsible for their bad performance.

12 May 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

This is a very interesting topic  to discuss , as surely we are interested about  the level of our students , and   their grades   can be a measure to judge how good  we perform.
But sometimes , we teachers are unlucky to have students who are not motivated or even interested in learning English, which makes our task a bit difficult.We have then , perhaps to try new methods to encourage them  to do better.
For instance in Morocco, though we teach English to 6th grade and 9th grade, students aren �t interested, just because they won �t have an exam in English by the end of the year .

12 May 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I just returned home and have to thank all of you for your responses. I agree that students have to do their part themselves but sometimes I ask myself if I should have done a little bit more... dunno.

nikadixon, I would love to receive the chapter of your thesis.

Good night everybody!

13 May 2009