Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Suggestions: Members ´ Participation Accounts + Clock    

Suggestions: Members ´ Participation Accounts + Clock

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Suggestions: Members ´ Participation Accounts + Clock

Hello dear teachers,

Have you ever discussed the need of providing an account of a member ´s contributions here?

Don ´t you think it is a must on this wonderful site?

I have participated in many forums on this website so far and now if I want to go check one of my participations to see if there are any new comments or just to revise what I wrote, I have to spend a lot of time looking for it and sometimes I just can´t find it, especially if I forget the title of the thread. In the other websites, however, (and here I´m talking mainly about Arabic ones) if you participate in any of the websites ´ forums, all of your contributions will be saved on your webpage and anyone reading your webpage can see all of your participations on the forums classified on one side of the page. Also, you may even be notified by an email about whomever has replied to any of your comments.

Another thing that I ´ve noticed here is the absence of a timing option on the forums. Normally, that should be displayed close to the date at the bottom of the post ´s window, so I don ´t know why this is not available here, especially that there are no clock changes in Spain. It is the same as in the rest of Europe. This makes you wonder why there is no timing on the website´s forums while it´s become a very common thing in all the forums on the net. And of course all the forums on the net are open to everybody from any part of the world and evrybody there knows when he/she and the other members sent their comments even if they live in different continents, which means that living in different places of this world is not a problem to providing a kind of clock on the website.

What do you think of my two suggestions?

Have a good day/night

AbdelhadiSmile

14 May 2009      

verybouncyperson
Spain

I think it ´s a great idea too - or at least some way to search for a topic (I don ´t know if that already exists and I just haven ´t found it yet).  I love the fact that so many people are contributing to discussions but there are many new topics everyday and it ´s sometimes impossible to trawl through to find a post you started the previous day.

T :)

17 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

There is a way to find a topic you look for
In the "HOME"page ifyou readall the threads at the end of all of them youll find a box which says

"SEARCH FORUM POSTS"

with the option to look for:

content
user
date

17 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

See, I figured it was probably just me not having a clue!
Thanks, Miss Veronica!

18 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

I see what you mean but I still regard that way and its options as poor and old-fashioned, especially for a website like this. So while many ordinary sites use various modern ways and techniques relevant to the forum service, our site is still lagging far behind. This is really frustrating.

Also, imagine that you ´ve forgotten the content, the user and the date, then how can you find the specific thread/post you are looking for? I ´m sure that you ´ll have to spend a lot of time searching for that, since there are a big number of threads and posts out there, which is time-consuming.

Just keep in mind that we are teachers and thus our time is very precious. Sometimes, I don ´t have enough time to do some of my duties especially when I have to correct my students ´ paperssssss, so do you think that I ´ll be happy to spend my precious time on the site searching for a ´ghost ´ thread to which I participated a week ago or so?

Thanx for your words. All views are welcome

Have a good night

Abdelhadi  Smile

20 May 2009