Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEW JOB and I m frustrated and annoyed...    

NEW JOB and I m frustrated and annoyed...

cheezels
New Zealand

NEW JOB and I m frustrated and annoyed...

Ok here goes... I am hoping some experienced members might be able to point me in the right direction with some sage advice....
As some of you know I �m a kiwi working in Sweden... way up north where jobs are like gold dust...(I �m here for my Swedish partner so moving is not an option!)
I work for three different employers. Two are adult education centres one formal one not and they are huge throughout Sweden. My work for these employers changes a lot as the groups go for 1 lesson a week X 6, ,8 or 9 weeks... so work is irregular often at night... but I enjoy it...Classes are now finishing up and there will be no more until Sept now. It´s also very little actual teaching hours also per week...But they are professional and everything is organised and runs very smoothly.

Then I got another job with a different employer who specifically wanted 10 hours of teaching a week. I even accepted a really low hourly rate (which does not take into account any prep or planning time simply because it was regular work ) It is now week 3 of being employed there. I have spent HOURS in the weeks leading up to beginning preparing and planning (as they are the place with no resources, no printer, computers no nothing...)

I have students from all around the world. Immigrants to Sweden with little to no english and often little no no formal education in their own country.
Now I agreed to this job and sat down with the boss to set out 5 class of 2 hours each. Different levels etc. I made it clear to her that for it to work the students need to be within the same level (ish)... she agreed and said she had a list and would sort it out.

I turned up for my first day, and my boss had forgotten and had not organised any groups of students... even though she had been getting people to sign up for a while... The following week it was the same with 1-2 people turning up for some groups ..
This week? Well I still do not have students organised for all of my groups.. by boss seems to think it is ok for people who were in the  beginners groups last week to turn up for the intermediate group this week WITHOUT TELLING ME, she has promised me LAST week that all the groups were organised and that the students had been contacted.. but people do not show up... How can I teach lessons that flow from one to the  next, that link learning when I never know who is going to show up? Also students show up half an hour maybe an hour late and then obviously struggle to know what the hell we are doing...
I was so excited about getting some regular hours... but I don �t even know if I will be paid as how can I write on my timesheet that I was there but no one turned up? Does that count if it is not my fault? I am becoming very stressed as all my prep and planning mean nothing right now... I am literally having to fly by the seat of my pants because the situation keeps changing all the time. This is not making for effective learning.

My contract is until the end of June... but I wanted to do such a terrific job that they renew my contract for Autumn. I think they are funded by the government... they are not a business. I just think they are taking the mickey... getting a a lot for nothing... but at the same time I am desperate for the work. (With my other jobs I only get paid when the course finishes!!!!! So my first pay for THIS YEAR will be in may.... sigh.... I don �t want to upset the apple cart, but at the same time this is ridiculous!
I mean if I have to find all my own students and arrange classes then I will go private from my house!
Depressed and not looking forward to yet another disorganized day at work this afternoon. Cry
Suggestions of how to solve this problem so that I don �t offend my boss?????....

15 May 2009      

Mariethe House
France

dear friend... i will answer your question bearing in mind what thomas harris, a great transactionnal analyst( book:I am ok, you �re ok) would say:
Get in touch with your inner child . What does she really feel like doing?and listen to what she says!
In my opinion, you can �t do proper work in the conditions you are talking about!

W
hat are the other solutions? arranging private lessons from your house is a possibility.....

Look for other partners.  find another compatriot/colleague to start your own business with.( talk to Zora!She might be able to help!) but do not accept such bad working conditions! You will loose your confidence and your happiness!
Trust yourself... go round schools: I am sure they need native speakers to teach kids English! you are so creative : do not spoil your creativity for people who don �t deserve it!

15 May 2009     

class centre
Belarus

Dear Cheezels! When I had a difficult situation, I just went to two kindergartens and organized terrific courses for the children. Everyone was happy including me. Then, later on, when I was fed up with my stupid and rude boss at the plant where I worked as an interpretor, I just quit and opened my own private lessons. Then a wonderful system called THE SCHOOL OF TOMORROW just found me  and now I run my own private school teaching English. Do it ! Do not stand what you hate or what insults you. You are a really gifted teacher. So you know how to work without bosses and guides. Goodluck!
Natasha

15 May 2009     

exiliser
Turkey

What if you offend your boss?

15 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi guys!
I would love to work in schools here BUT my Swedish is not good enough... we only have 5 high schools also and the Swedish language teacher teaches the english as well....I have tied but they are not interested as one teacher can do both jobs...
To get a job working in a Swedish school you need an exam passing TISUS or Svenska B (its the law as well) which is the swedish language to university standards! I am a very long way off from this standard. No school where I live will even look at you without the swedish qualification... no matter how good or experienced you are.
That is why it has been a very long and hard road so far! Thank you... but I still need to know how to deal with my boss... I am very seriously considering the private route...hmmmmm

15 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Where I live is a very very small place... if I offend her then it could seriously hamper chances of future work with other employers. Everyone here is connected in some way... its quite amazing.... it can be good but also it can  work against you....I hope that answers your question exiliser

15 May 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

Hi Cheezels,
I don �t know if it �s a good idea or not but why don �t you ask all the students to come at a precise time, sort them in groups yourself and give them the right time and the right place they have to be with you ? Would it be an offense ?

15 May 2009     

sanchan
Spain

I �m sorry to hear about your situation... it really is a pain in the back when everything is like that... i normally have to organize everything as well... but i kinda got used to it... so it�s no biggie for me, but the first days I was just down and mad all the time.

In any case... what i wanted to say is that I am not sure how it is there, the law and everything ... but if you did that here (finding all the students and going private from your house) you could be sued for that :( so read your contract and be careful.

hope things get better!Smile

15 May 2009     

douglas
United States

It �s only until June (for now).  Relax and do the "don �t worry be happy" thing.  I �m guessing you have been teaching long enough to be able to short-talk (explain it in a few words) a subject when it comes up.  Plan your lessons as conversational lessons, staying aware of the student with the lowest knowledge level.  Don �t be afraid to partially teach above this student �s level--he/she will learn some through osmosis(sp?).  Have a series of worksheets and activities available that meet some of your various teaching goals.

Now just go to class and talk to your students:"how are you?", "How was your weekend?", Have you ever ridden a rollercoaster?", etc..  As you talk, you will notice areas that need explaining--use the opportunity to partially teach the subject.  Don �t get too concerned if they don �t fully understand, the topic will arise again in another lesson and you can explain/practice it further.  The students will most likely appreciate the style because you are giving them what THEY want/need when THEY see the need for it.

As for being paid when there are no students, YES, you should be paid for those hours--you were at work as scheduled/required (use the time to prep for the next lesson).

"Don �t worry, be happy." Smile

15 May 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

This organisation is for immigrants who come to Sweden... It is not a school....I had no access to any of the lists that the students had signed up on... (before I was hired).... I have been giving them very strict times and the ones that have turned up I have said this is your group... for the boss to change it without any notice (like two of my beginner group from last week who just turned up yesterday for intermediate level because the boss said they could- and a new member who said the boss said this was his group....).....
So it was not up to me to organise everyone before I started... when hiring me she specifically said that she would organise everything... last week I sat down with her and explicitly went over everything she assured me everything was organised.. which it clearly is not.... My class that did not turn up yesterday, again I said did you ring them? She says yes.... but......

I have to tread very carefully because she is very very well known here in the community... one bad word from her and I will not find work at all.
But this disorganisation is costing me much needed pay.... I have to speak with her today... because next week will be week four.. and it still feels like we have not started properly! What a waste of time!!!!!!

EDIT: Thanks Douglas... I will take that attitude... I need to... as I head off soon.....
but just to add a two hour lesson is a lot to have to make it up as you go along! Remember I have no photocopier no resources only what I have made and prepared myself!

15 May 2009     

chorima
Spain

I agree with Douglas.....I know it �s frutstrating when all the hours of preparations/all your previous planning comes to nothing.....but you need to adjust to the new situation: you need the pay, it �s only one month and a half left (I would consider the possibility of not renewing even if given the opportunity....but I wouldn�t make up my mind yet) and besides using conversation class, you may have to adjust worksheets to different levels....

I would try to go on and do the job as it is only for a short period. After finishing the course, I would think things over carefully....

of course you should be paid even for the classes nobody turns up!!!! it �s not your fault

Do as much as you can do having in mind that it �s not your fault. The organisation is crap! but you need the job.Wink

15 May 2009     

1    2    Next >