Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Stairs or landing?    

Stairs or landing?

mariannina
Italy

Stairs or landing?

Ciao! I �d need your opinion, please.
Is it correct to say: "The wardrobe was in the stairs"?  Meaning with "stairs" the landing that  is in a house? I �ve never used "stairs" , but is it correct?
Thank you very much.
Mariannina

18 May 2009      

VALERIA FERNANDEZ
Uruguay

HI! I THINK IT WAS IN THE STAIRS IT�S CORRECT KISSES

18 May 2009     

DRPLEE
Turkey

Youy could say the wardrobe was on the on the landing - meaning it was placed not actually on the staircase, but on a level between two staircases - or , again on a level, at the top of the stairs. A landing usually has a balustrade (rails to stop you falling into the stairwell). "In the stairs � is wrong; "on the stairs" is correct, but not for a wardrobe; cf. the stage play "The ruffian on the stairs" by the English playwright Joe Orton.

P Lee.

18 May 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Thank you Valeria. This morning one of my young students � mother  made me notice that it is not correct because her sister-in-law, who is American or English I don �t remember well,  told her they don �t use it.

18 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Never heard of "stairs" being used as "landing"... I would say it �s wrong... To me stairs are what you climb and landing is the area between the flights of stairs..

18 May 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks, and how would you say?  "The wardrobe was on the landing" or "The wardrobe was in the landing"?         Smile

18 May 2009     

mendiv
United States

You would definitely use on the landing.  I always ask my kids if the books are "inside" the table, or whatever they use in their sentence.  The wardrobe could not be "in" the stairs unless it was built into them.

18 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would agree with Linda about the stairs and landing.  The landing is really the floor at the head or foot of the stairs or between flights of stairs.
What you might say is that the wardbrobe was on the landing near the stairs or close to the stairs. 

18 May 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Thanks a lot  to all of you. Have a nice day, afternoon, evening...it depends where you are in the world...in the stairs, on the stairs, in the landing, on the landing...   LOL  Hug Mariannina

18 May 2009     

douglas
United States

Or you can say "the wardrobe is in the stairwell"

18 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

I also always referred to that little level area that  is located between floors and is the �joiner �  of two staircases as the stairwell. 

18 May 2009     

1    2    Next >