Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > FACEBOOK and your students    

FACEBOOK and your students

_babz
Canada

FACEBOOK and your students

What �s the policy at your school OR what do you think about this topic?

In recent months, my school has been questioning the idea of teachers having students as "friends" on facebook. Nothing formal has been done, but I sense that soon, it will either be restricted or allowed.

It will be a hot topic cause I feel that some teachers will be happy (the old timers) and some upset. As for me, makes no difference. I have some former students of mine who can be easily removed.

So, I �m asking:

Should teachers accept students as "friends" on Facebook? Is it ethical?
Is it okay if they have graduated? Or if they are at another grade level?
What if you have them, but in your limited profile?? Is it a good way to communicate with them?Advantages-disadvantages.

Let me know what you guys think Thumbs Up

18 May 2009      

source
Turkey

Personally , I dont want my students to know everything about me especially private issues. We can chat our friends or use slangs taboo words etc in that environment and this is not a smart thing to let our students see them. I have a facebook and I accept my students as a friend. But I arrange the settings according to it and I put them into a limited profile. So they can only reach limited things about me...

18 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m a bit like Source. I don �t even have a Facebook account because I feel they ask too many private questions. I started twice to open an account and it bothered me to answer those questions so I decided not to.
I do embrace technologies but I �m not my students best buddy nor do I want to be. At the end of the my time with them, I do tell them that I �m there should they need extra help in English and I provide them with my email.

18 May 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I have a personal and a professional profiles on Facebook, Orkut, MySpace, etc. I give my students my professional profile links and normally don �t accept ss on my personal ones.

Here in Brazil some schools and companies check the professional �s profile on Orkut as part of admission. You can get points if you have communities related to your field or the company �s community. And on the other hand, you may not get the job if your profile is considered inapropriate.

Since I don �t discuss taboos or my sexual life on my profiles (my personal life is my problem and I have a jealous husband.. hehe) there �s no problem if my ss check my Orkut, for example.

I had problems only once, a student flunked and started harassing my through internet, but it was easy to solve: I blocked her and changed the settings: only my friends can see pics, videos, and leave comments or scraps.

18 May 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Well, I have a hi5 profile here in Portugal. And I also accept my students. They get to see my pictures, comments, and so on, but I must confess that I only add those that I really know, especially when then are not my Ss anymore. Some are still my students, but I don �t stay in the same school for a long time (unfortunately...), so, I like to keep in touch when I leave them. :-) In conclusion, I agree that we could accept Ss as friends, because it may a good way to communicate in english, but we must have our privacy.

18 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I only accept as friends stds from a school I dont work at anymore, who have become more friends than stds. In fact most of them have already finished school sotheyre  grown ups

I dont think kids should use facebook. I mean, not befor theyre 13 anyway.

I do email my stds though, but I have a special email adress for them

19 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I �m lucky as here in Spain there �s a really popular networking site called tuenti.  I �m friends with my students on tuenti, and then have my facebook account just for me.

19 May 2009