Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Using power points in class.    

Using power points in class.

jovance
Macedonia

Using power points in class.

Hello, I have a question for all the teachers who use power points with their students. How do you use power points in your class? Do all the students have a computer, or do you use a projector or you use them in some other way? I make power points, but unfortunately I don �t use them because we don �t have computers in the classroom.
Greetings,
Beti

21 May 2009      

mjotab
Spain

We don �t have computers either, but I have my own laptop and my own projector . I take them to school and project on the wall (it is white). I taught some of my sudents how to turn everything on, otherwise they get too noisy while I am doing it. Then I project the pps, usually at the beginning or at the end of a unit. They like it, at least they like it better than the blackboard.Smile

21 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Most of the schools in Hong Kong have projectors and computers hooked up to them.  I just play them through the computer. For my smaller classes I use my laptop and run the pps on that.  Since the classes are small we can all crowd around the table.

21 May 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

We are lucky, we have laptops and projectors, though I have mine ( just in case, everyone needs everything )
I usually project either on a white board or, in some other rooms, on a green board ( it is not so bad as you may think ). I make my printables in word.doc  ( for the students ) and then I copy paste into PPT , so that I have the same document to project - this is very useful, if you have, let us say, a " filling in the gaps , you can project it and it is so much easier and faster to correct it.The whole exercise is on the board and they just fill the gaps. You can have some questions on a text and you (or the students ) write the answers right next to each question. You have a picture, it is not very clear in the students � printables, never mind, you project a big one and you can explain what you need. At home, students can check with their printables, which may be sometimes, less clear, but they have already seen them in a large version. I use ppt almost everyday, almost for everything.

21 May 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I work in different schools but I only use power point presentations in one of them... This school is very poor that I do not even have a classroom!! lol! I worked for a long time in the laboratory, among all of the instruments

Now... I can say I am much better becasue I work in the audovisual room so there is a projector in here that I use very often... almost everyday!!

I must say that computers are sooooooooooo old that they even use Windows98 so, I prefer bringing my lap and only connect it to the projector.

Actually I am in class right now, well I am in my free hour of the day and I just used it and they have been a great resource for me, my students love the presentations you all share... Hug

21 May 2009     

arielmlee
Malaysia

Hi, I used to use laptop. But now, I am using a projector to project it. I love using it when describing a topic E.G: Olympics, Transportation, Jobs or Occupation etc. But some of my ppt �s are too big to upload here, (because of the pictures**) I usually print PPT �s worksheet, so they can see the pics then fill their worksheets up and maybe for revision, I usually play GUESS MY PICTURE or play JEOPARDY Game. Overall it is fun but try not to use it too often or it might get bored..:D

Ariel M.Lee
Malaysia
Teaching in China

21 May 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hi,
I use my laptop mostly for ppt games. I put it on the teacher �s desk in front of the class. I enlarge the pictures and words so as to be seen from a distance. I use games with primary students whenever possible (at the beginning, in the middle of the lesson or at the end, depending on the topic and the exercises designed). I expalin the rules then let Ss play the games and do the magic CLICK. They really enjoy these games.
I sometimes use games with older Ss (same proceedure as above). These Ss are even more eager to play - they are not as fortunate as the younger ones to play every hour - and I have few games for intermediate / advanced Ss.
We also have a projector and a screen at school, so when I want to use something more demanding, we go to the cabinet and watch it. Last time we went there we watched Hitchcock �s �The Birds � (as there was an extract from Daphne du Maurier �s book in their coursebook) and the next class we discussed it and completed some exercises and did some free writing (imagining another end of the story).
Well, my 5 years-old daughter plays these easy ppt games at home! She always wants to try new games... She is going to be a computer freak, like her mom! LOL
Big hugs to everyone,
Gabitza

21 May 2009     

luadosolzinho
Brazil

Well, at the public school where I teach, we don�t have laptop or projector. I usually use a software to convert PPT to DVD and I use the TV to show the presentations to my students.

They like it very much.

Best Wishes,

Vanessa Hug 

21 May 2009     

fleur
Malta

I use laptop and a monitor in class
to show powerpoints.  The ones which include
an activity or some kind of games I copy on to
childrens � computers as we are lucky to have
four per class.

21 May 2009     

crisholm
Spain

I use a projector as well in those rooms that are equipped with them, and besides, I embed some of the PPTs in the class blog so that everyone can access them from home.

21 May 2009     

dennismychina
China

I�m really surprised that you don�t use PPt because the PPt�s which you�ve uploaded are very good.

I also teach at different schools. The two primary schools have computers linked up to overhead projectors and the senior school just has the OH so I need my laptop. It�s a great medium to work with but, if you�re not careful, it can make you lazy and not involve all of the ss. I try to make worksheets linked to the PPt but with 50 plus ss per class it is difficult. What I do is print35 WS hand them out- one per two ss (threaten them with dismemberment if they write on them) and have them return them after class to use in the next class and the next X 5. lol.  I always make sure I have an appropriate worksheet with me though.  I currently have (excluding weekends) 22 classes a week so prep time is a pain in the proverbial but with that many classes, worksheets are completely out of the question.

21 May 2009     

1    2    Next >