Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Interjection expressions!    

Interjection expressions!

MissMelissa12
Peru

Interjection expressions!

Hello all,

Since I �m runing out of stamps. Im designing new ones with phrases like � �Very good � � and so.
But I �d like also to add some interjection sounds/expressions ( I dont know what to call them) like:
� �aw �   --> when something is sad
� �ouch � �  --> when you get hurt.

Do you have any others that can be put on the stamps????

Thank you very much!!!!

Miss Melissa. Hug

23 May 2009      

Zora
Canada

Well, there �s...

"Ohhh...!" , "Wow", "Amazing..." , "Great!", "Awesome", "Cool", "Radical", "Neat!", "Yes!"

Smile 

23 May 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

"Oh!",         Wow!" ("surprising, interesting"),   Oooo
Yeah [j�] ("yes"),
Ugh
[ʌx] ("disgusting!"),
Whew / Phew
[ɸɪu] ("what a relief!")
Oh no!
eh? ("what is this?")

23 May 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

the interjection list: http://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/list-of-interjections.html

A: ahhh, arrggg, B: bam, blah, boo, bravo, brrr, C: cheers, congratulations,D: dang, drat, darn, E: eeek, F: fiddlesticks, G: gadzooks, gee, gee whiz, golly, goodbye, good grief, gosh, H: ha-ha, hallelujah, hello, hey, hmmmmmm, holy buckets, holy cow, holy smokes, huh?, O: oh, oh dear, oh my, oh well, ooops, owww, P: pow, R: rats, S: shhhhh, T: thanks, tut-tut, U: uh-huh, W: wow, Y: yeah, yes, yikes, yippee, yuck

"Good thing" - bravo, cheers, hallelujah, wow, yeah, ooo, hey, ha-ha, yeah, yes, yippee, yahoo
"Bad thing" - ahhh, brrr,  arrrggg, ugh, blah, boo, bother, darn, eeek, oh gee, good grief, holy smokes, fiddlesticks, ooops, owww, rats, oh dear, huh, yuck, yikes
"Neutral - "good or bad" - hmmm, hey, oh, oh well, oh my,

I am not 100% sure... but Zora approved it  , thanks Zora! Embarrassed

23 May 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Thank you...

23 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

I think that in general, these words/sounds are called interjections but if you want to specify, then you call them exclamations. There are many of them in English and they are particularly put into spoken language.

Check the link below. It contains some examples of exclamations with their meaning and usage, so that may be useful to you:

Have a good night

AbdelhadiSmile

23 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Two of my favourites which I encourage my students to use are BlimeyShocked and BotherPinch

T :)

23 May 2009