Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Stolen pictures    

Stolen pictures

olechka1976
Russian Federation

Stolen pictures

Have a look at this PowerPoint!!!!! http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=12185#thetop Does it honest to use picture with white cross aross the picture(irstockphotos).Some weeks ago I was flayed for my ws - food wordsearch- it was made at mes-english(my idea,my choice of pictures).Ahd how about using these (from irstockpictures) pictures.They don �t look beautiful at all!!!!Unhappy

23 May 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hmmm, have you reported it?

Please state why you believe it is not a resource for this site & provide the address for the pictures. This will allow the moderators to make an assessment.

Please do not add a �value statement � as to whether the pictures are �beautiful � or not as that form of judgement has nothing to do with the eligibility of an upload for this site.

Cheers,
AB

23 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi olechka,

The owner of the MES website is actually a member here with us as well.  He has created a wonderful website where you can go and use his resources to create your own work for your own class.  He expressly tells people - very clearly - that you are not to use his images for uploading on other websites. 

You are allowed to use images from other sources - that were not originally intended to be an esl resource (FAIR USE).  You can not take content or pictures from esl resources (book or website) and use them on this website as it is in direct violation of copyright laws.

To the person that likes leaving rude pm �s calling me ugly - no I am not a lawyer, nor did I ever suggest that I was.  When copyright issues were bought up in this site (I think July of 2008) I decided to go find out what it was all about.  I did extensive reading and research - found a very cool video (taking the mickey out of disney LOL) and I choose to share the information - and will continue to do so - with anyone who asks about why they are allowed or not allowed to post certain things on this website or any other for that matter.

So - feel free to disagree with me that is your right - please don �t send insults when you do though! I also did note the coincidence of timing between your comments, my reply and my worksheets being reported!

If you want to watch the very funny disney parody of FAIR USE to help you understand copyright I have given you the link - just click FAIR USE

23 May 2009     

naj07
Tunisia

�honestly I �m puzzled with all this problem of pictures and I �m really afraid because I sometimes save pictures on my pc from various sites and after I use them in my work and can �t remember if they are esl.

23 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Actually, with �Fair Use� as it applies in almost every country (except, notably, Japan where there is no such thing for the use of ANY copyrighted material - at the moment) you are able to use any ESL materials if you use the correct approach AND AS LONG AS IT DOESN�T BREACH ANY USAGE AGREEMENTS! Please note, any usage agreements could also be disputed according to contract law principles & may not actually be enforceable either...

MES English (owned & maintained by Mark Cox) is based in Japan, so the copyright law & �fair use� conditions do not allow for �Fair Use� in any way shape or form here! This is consistent with his end user agreement. Whether this would hold up in a non Japanese court is another matter as there are several factors that would be taken into account (I have based these upon Section 107 of the American legislation, but again, they are consistent with most international standards):

the purpose & character of the use - including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for non profit educational use;

the nature of the copyrighted work - this is where the dispute would begin... if you are taking material from another teaching resource then the potential to impact a copyright holders earnings can be argued;

the amount and substantiality of the portion used - in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole. In other words, �How much of the material have you used in relation to the whole?�. Many schools use a �10%� approach; and

the effect of the use upon the potential market - for value of the copyrighted work. In other words, does the �fair use� of the material inhibit the earning potential of the copyright holder?

Here�s a handy simplified visual example...

The �?� means that �fair use� is open to debate - and this is where the lawyers make their money!

Oh, in case you�re wondering, I have studied this area at university & have also worked in related areas in advertising & contractual adherence.

Cheers,
AB

23 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

thanks for further clarification AB.

24 May 2009