Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Please! I need suggestions!    

Please! I need suggestions!

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Please! I need suggestions!

Coming Back! And asking for help

Ok, I �m sorry... because suddenly I disappear... but i �m working a lot and next week I �ll be working on a bilingual school, so I never did it before...
I would like to ask you for some tips... there are 15 students, and I �ll be with them for 4 hours so... I have some routines with them as lunch and tea... but what else... 
I know it depends of the curriculum (Which I don �t know yet)...
but if you can help me with some tips it would be great!

I �m teaching in another school but in classes of 45minutes, so, it �s obviously not the same.

THANKS A LOT!!!

VAL Thumbs Up

23 May 2009      

valfairyrose
Uruguay

I will be with them teaching english, as a normal teacher, thing that i �ve never done.  They are 6 and 7, and I don �t know how to keep them under control, how to direct situations as lunch or tea, because the school spects me to talk in English all the time, but it �s not possible if they are learning a new language, they will not understand.

I have 4 and 5-year-old students and of course I have to explain some activities in L1 and they are fine, But i spend just 45 minutes a day with them.

I would like you to tell me how do you control enthusiasm (because it is a really noisy class). Or how to direct lunch, or different activities to have their attention.
Thanks.

Val

23 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Have at least 15 minutes of sustained  silent reading time. We call it SSR at my school. It usually works best at the beginning of class or immediately after lunch. It tends to calm them down then they can tell about what they read. Good Luck!

Carla

23 May 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Make as many visual aids as you can - posters which say "Time for lunch" and things like that.  Also, I would suggest having a helper each day - a student who writes the date on the board, hands out worksheets, is the first in the line to leave the classroom.  Start with the stronger students first, and that person can help weaker students who don �t understand when you explain in English.
They love the extra responsibility!

T :)

24 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

I taught ESL one year where I had my students for 3 hours. It was a challenge at first, but then I started to really appreciate the time I had to them. We always feel rushed with our little 30 minutes a day--now you will have all the time you want! :) Have a daily schedule with a lot of picture cues posted and visible that you go through first thing in the morning and then keep returning to throughout your time. This is good for the age level, but also good for the English practice. Circle time is also good for both the age/English. Have everyone come together and talk about their day or share something, and you go over the calendar (date, day,month, weather, today/tomorrow/yesterday vocabulary!) and daily schedule. I know our kindergarten curriculum has this content, so the language and content easily overlap. Good luck! You �ll be great!

27 May 2009     

millmo
France

I only have short sessions. However, I would suggest a daily routine to start the lesson. I use lucky dip questions which build up with every subject taught. Split the group in to two teams and ask four or five questions to each team per day. This usually takes up  about 10 minutes, but is good fun for the children (competition to see which team is gaining the most points) and also usueful time to revise essential points. Typical questions "what is your name", "what colour is this" etc. If you divide the class in to groups this also helps a little with control. Points awarded for the team that learns a song the best or the team which has been the quietess..etc

Use actions to emphasise your instructions. Use the same actions every day.."open your book" open your hands like a book. The children will understand the actions and begin to understand the words.

Appoint a different child each day or week to lead the class from classroom to lunch etc.

Always have spare colouring activities for those children that work quickly and finish before the others.

Good luck. It sounds great. I �m sure you �ll love it when you get going

27 May 2009     

Marcia Silva
Brazil

Hi everybody!!!!

I have a 40 year-old student, Chinese, but he was raised here in Brazil. However, as his parents spoke with him only in Chinese when he was a kid, he learned both languages: Portuguese and Chinese .

He has been studying English with me for 2 years. He speaks everything you can imagine, any subject I ask him about, he is able to discuss, read or explain. His pronunciation is awesome, really good!

But, for some time, he has been complaining about his listening. He says he doesn�t understand anything, even the basic listenings. How can this be possible. I got angry with him because of that, and I even thought he was pretending, as he has strong structures and wide vocabulary.

Now, I need to start a listening course(It disturbs me, because I�ve been teaching him for so long and he never said anything about not understading). As he discussed the topics and always gave me the idea he understood, I thought he didn�t have listening problems.

I was working with him studying grammar, listening and discussing texts, news and songs. Now, I I feel myself lost. I really would like a suggestion about material or techniques to help this student.

Please, help me!!!!

7 Jul 2009