Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Wss     

Wss

eng789
Israel

Wss

Victor, if you are around,  I think you need to make a decision about the use of mother tongue on wss. 

I personally like to leave room for translation on some of my lower level wss,  I prefer that the kids write the translation themselves. 

The problem is that there are a lot of pages coming through that are almost completely mother tongue which  makes them useless to a large number of people here.    

Thanks for a great site and the cafe is wonderful.  Take care,  eng789

25 May 2009      

ShirleyJ
United Kingdom

I too sometimes leave a space or room for translation on my WSs but I wouldn �t upload them with the translation in place as this would make the WS unusable to a huge number of teachers, and I thought the whole idea was to share with everyone..

It makes sense to just upload the English as you say, and leave spaces..

I �m in agreement with you eng789!!

25 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

I share the same point of view with you. I �ve come across many wss which are half English half Turkish or Spanish. This really makes me go crazy. I have nothing against the two languages and I hope I will learn them, but I just don �t need them in my class. I �m teaching English and our mother tongue is Arabic, so none of my students will need these languages, which means that the person who uploads such wss unintentionally diminishes opportunity for gaining a good number of points.

So please let �s act for the benefit of the majority here, which will, therefore, produce good results for this wonderful website.

Thanx for raising the issue

AbdelhadiSmile

26 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Unusable putting the country the worksheet is being used at primary language...  Or can it be a way of sharing ideas especially if the ws are set up to be able to change it?   Some of us have seemed to forget a basic teaching method and it is called Cognitive Development.  Basically using prior knowledge to teach the new material especially with low level speaking students which does include the mother tongue of the students since this site is focus on teaching English.  Also it seems some are more worried about points and not sharing ideas.  Yes this site is primary purpose is to share ws, but is it not also about sharing ideas to best reach the students we are teaching? 

So Abdelhadi you don �t like seeing ws with other languages then don �t download and look away so you don �t get ideas to best reach your students.  Act toward the benefit of the majority, interesting since the major changes in education have come from the minority groups before reaching the majority, historically speaking on the major changes in education.  

ShirlyJ yes it is nice to leave a blank so they can put the primary language but why not leave a few of the primary words on as examples on how you used it? 

This site does not just include long term teachers, but it also includes students and brand new teachers who need as many ideas to best reach their students as possible.  The students should be the primary focus and some things we may disagree with like having a primary language of one group on the ws can be beneficial in more than one way.

26 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

I don �t agree - people can upload the ALL ENGLISH VERSION - and add L1 to their own copy.  If I start writing in Hebrew it will screw up your pages - because Hebrew is written right to left.

Some of the only English pages - show spelling mistakes when I download them because they were written with French or Spanisto English spelling checker and they show on my text that there are spelling mistakes where there aren �t any. 

PLEASE DO YOUR WSS IN ENGLISH ONLY  - you can add your L1 to your own copy.

26 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

The problem you just listed isn �t an English thing it is a primary program issue.  It wouldn �t matter what language you initially use even if it was English.  I have that issue with my computer programming since it �s primary isn �t English but Korean even the Microsoft Office program.  And I guess the basic learning techniques are out the window like examples and Cognitive Development.

26 May 2009