Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > in or on??!!    

in or on??!!

cgato
Portugal

in or on??!!

Can anyone help me out, please?

I was writing some instructions and I came across a doubt.

Would you say :  use the clues given in or  on the worksheet ??

I �ve always hated prepositions!

Thanks in advanceHug

26 May 2009      

zigma
Colombia

The answer would be on, since we use on when talking about surfaces, and paper might be taken as a surface.

26 May 2009     

eng789
Israel

in the ws.   is correct.

26 May 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I think it is going to be IN.

Prepositions cannot be ON a worksheet, a coffee stain can, but not prepositions. ;)

26 May 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

I also think in the worksheet-

is the  correct answer.

26 May 2009     

paula_esl
Portugal

Hello, my dear! Wink

I �ve just read this expression in a British Council lesson plan "As a last option give the meaning yourself if the students are really struggling but this should not be necessary with the clues given on the worksheet." I personally think you can use both! Hug

26 May 2009     

missola
Palestine

I think on your worksheet but in your book. a worksheet is a one sheet or two but there is no cover to open or close so to me it on your worksheet sounds more reasonable.

26 May 2009     

cgato
Portugal

Big smile
Hey!!! Just left the computer for a few minutes, to get dinner ready, and in those few minutes got all these answers!!

you guessed what I was doing paula_esl, I was indeed writing a lesson planLOL!! If on is used in a British Council lesson plan, then it must be right.

However, and after reading your answers,  maybe both can be used!! If I find good explanation I �ll let you know!!

Thanks a lot to all!!

A big hug

26 May 2009     

cgato
Portugal

Thank you too missola ( I saw your answer after sending mine) ;)

26 May 2009     

altan_neu
Turkey

ıf you talk about a big part we use on but ıf it is about a small part you should use in
for ınstance;
 The whole pictures on the worksheet are...   This picture in the worksheet is ...

26 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

Both can be used because we consider prepositions "on" the face of the worksheet and because we can consider prepositions "inside" the lesson that is written on the worksheet. Really, American English teachers do not worry so much about prepositions as long as what is being communicated is clearly understood. Smile

CarlaDon ´t Worry About It(Don �t worry about it!)

26 May 2009