Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I have some ideas    

I have some ideas

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would have to agree with the other members.  If people were forced to upload a certain amount it would be chaotic.  We would be swamped with some worthless worksheet in order that the quota could be met.  Would you prefer to have good worksheets or worksheets that people just put together to meet the requirements?   What about the server would it be capable of meeting the requirements?
Also, as you have read by previous comments, not everyone contributes with worksheets.  There are many other ways to contribute, as by now you have already seen.
Many people spend endless time as monitors, giving advice and links.
Not everyone has the same schedule or the means of  uploading frequently.  They go according to their time, means and schedule.

This subject has been discussed several times.  I don �t think people are angry, it is only a subject that people have different views on, and that has been brought up on several occasions.

Here is one of the links  you might want to read.Smile

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8276

1 Jun 2009     

mena22
Portugal

I must say I really like the rules the way they are, because I believe nothing would change for the better if we forced people to upload worksheets. Much on the contrary, I feel the spirit of sharing would be lost. Sharing is something we must do willingly, of our own free will. 

Moreover, as I said the other day, we do have some precious members who may not upload many worksheets but that are still very active members of this site and we are all very grateful for all the help they give us. I know the names of many but I don �t want to take the risk of forgetting some. Their knowledge, their experience, their  wisdom...  are worth more than a thousand  worksheets. So why should they be forced to make a specific number of worksheets over a particular period of time?

As for topics 3 and 4, I think we all agree with you. Those are basic rules of education and good manners that should be taken into account by every member of this  or any other site.

Wish you all a good night.
mena

1 Jun 2009     

Fabiola Salinas
Argentina

Hi! I guess the thing isn �t that troublesome. On the one hand, we all know as from the very moment we decide to belong to this site, that we all have to contribute with material in order to be part of it. I mean, you upload, you gain credits. On the other hand, the more wss you contribute with , the more possibilities of downloading you have. Your wss aren �t so appealing... you try to improve your work next time... (I find it as personal feedback on what I do!) Apart from that, you can download for free only if you are premium member, which means you have been contributing with many more things than some other members. Let �s worry about our own production & try to make it better each time! xx Fabiola S.

1 Jun 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

I also agree that lots of members share much more than worksheets. For me, the links, suggestions and discussions about education or English grammar that I see here in the Forum are much more valuable than the wss.  I already have a lot of wss and don �t have time to check the "free" daily contributions but I always read and learn a lot with the Forum.
If members were forced to upload a certain amount per month we would see an avalanche of useless printables. We need quality and not quantity. 

1 Jun 2009     

SueThom
United States

I have been a member of this website for perhaps a year and a half and have truly both enjoyed it and learned a lot from the rest of you.  I am a little hurt that I am one of those who might be considered lazy and concerned that members might be required to make a minimum amount of contributions during a given time period. 

I know this will be a lengthy post, but I hope you will have patience with me as I explain my situation.

I have a full-time job in a completely different field than teaching.  It requires that I regularly work extra hours.  However, a few years ago I began volunteering as a tutor for ESL students and liked it so much that I went back to school, taking classes after work to learn more.  In 2007 I began teaching an ESL class--again on a volunteer basis and in addition to my regular job--and that is when I found this website.  I loved it.  I downloaded many worksheets and learned a tremendous amount from looking at what others were doing and reading the suggestions in the forum.

I decided to go back to school again--this time to get a master �s degree in teaching ESL with the hope of eventually leaving my current job to become an ESL teacher.  However, with my job, graduate level courses (which require a considerably higher investment of my time than undergraduate courses did), plus everyday household (cooking, cleaning, yardwork, laundry, etc.) and family responsibilities, I have had to temporarily give up teaching and developing contributions for this site.  I tell myself that it �s just for a while longer; then I can start doing both again.  In the meantime, every once in awhile as a special treat for myself, I check in to see what �s new here. 

I don �t consider myself lazy; I �m just in a period of time in which I have other priorities.  If I were required to contribute to stay a member, I would have to quit.  If you decide that you do not want people like me (in situations like mine) on this site, I would be greatly saddened, but would comply.

1 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with you SueThom. ESL is voluntary and part time for me too.

I think that if someone contributes one excellent worksheet and gains 30 points they have earned the right to download, and that worksheet is probably of more value than 50 poor worksheets which get 1 point each.

1 Jun 2009     

SueThom
United States

Thank you, Apodo.  And it �s nice to hear from others for whom this is a part-time gig, too.

Sue

1 Jun 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

I agree with the members...
As for me it �s my first year and actually I was meant to follow the textbook without adding anything except English grammar in use before I gain the experience and confidence. I found out that sticking to the textbook makes my students yawn so I started to add something from time to time. Though I can �t do it every lesson because I have a curriculum to follow . I contributed the best works of mine and some people liked them. I learned much more from the others than shared with them just because I am  a starter in this gorgeous profession.
If there was a rule about weekly contributions I would also have to quit because I can �t stand downloading low quality works and I don �t have so many high quality ones. (By the way I don �t download other people �s works a lot either.)
When I am an experienced teacher and when I get used to the stress of the job I am sure I will have more valuable work but now I don �t. And I am sure I am not the only starter on this site so should we all forget about it???

1 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2