Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > precious space    

precious space

rozianne
United Kingdom

Oh no. Here we go again. [insert rolling eyes]

Here are the definitions of online forum terminology I recently taught my teen students.

TROLLING = This refers to a person who intentionally attempts to disrupt, cause controversy, incite an argument, and/or receive negative attention by deliberately posting provocative content.

FLAMING = This is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. An Internet user typically generates a  response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others.

CYBERBULLIES = Individuals whose aim is to gain gratification from the distress caused by provoking and tormenting others. These people get a perverse sense of satisfaction (called gratification) from sending people flame mail and hate mail. This may include projection, false criticism and patronising sarcasm whilst contributing nothing of any value.

So, does anybody else think there �s lots of Trolling + Flaming going on or is it just me? I usually keep away from such threads because they seem so unproductive, however, I know that is not an excuse for avoiding posting remarks in threads that seem generally upsetting to lots of members here. So I guess my concluding comment is DON �T FEED THE TROLL.

We have so many other productive + creative things to share here.

5 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Lady bird,

Please don �t feel flabbergasted. That is what this person wants you to feel.

Forum �trolls � purposely try to disrupt, distort and provoke. They seem to enjoy it and then use a �persecution defence � when they are asked to stop their anti-social behaviour. �WHAT ME? WHAT HAVE I DONE????? � When someone asks them to stop posting negative comments they claim innocent intent and scream censorship. Then they will claim they are being singled out for their unpopular viewpoints. They love this attention.

Internet forum �trolls � attempt to divide and conquer, have their own agendas, post excessively, present themselves as the saviour of the group, attack + threaten, have control issues etc etc. These are well-known definitions.

The best way to deal with them is to ignore them.

What are the bets that Abdelhadi wakes up in the morning, rubs his hands with glee and starts responding to everyone individually?

Gee, I can �t even remember the topic of this thread since it was hijacked by him.

Please don �t ever feel flabbergasted, nor anyone else for that matter.

5 Jun 2009     

rozianne
United Kingdom

Rozianne I can assure you that you are just talking nonsense. None of your arguments is true. So you better join Silke.

We �re all getting in line for our treatment.  I �m mean you are going to be our therapist, aren �t you?

Until then, here�s my treatment for you.

5 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

LOL!

Silke So you better hurry up for the treatment!

Rozianne I can assure you that you are just talking nonsense. None of your arguments is true. So you better join Silke.

I�m not here to waste my time chatting with you or to cause any disagreement. That�s not and would never be my aim. So keep talking nonsense while you get things wrongly.

BTW It would be my pleasure if you ignore me, then you won´t need to waste your time writing things that are totally wrong and also I won´t have to reply to your baloney!

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Abdelhadi!?
I think you �re in need of love.

5 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Hey! Are you sick?

You just said that the best way to deal with me is to ignore me and in one of your earlier nonsense you said: "don�t feed up the trolls" but now you are totally contradicting yourself. You are feeding up the "trolls" yourself with your silly behaviour.

Keep the spray for your treatment. I don�t need it as I�m not a troll and have no desire to be so.

Well, in this case, it�s me who is going to ignore you. So say whatever you like. You have all the life ahead.

5 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Oh dear Ivona. Is the "virus" attacking you too. �Poor guy needs love ok! He seems so lost!�LOL
How are you abdelhadi my sweet darling ? Want an ice-cream?LOL

5 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Ivona

What have made you say that?

5 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

You remind me of one of my students, who was in need of love and found a weird way to show it - picked fights, argued with the teachers, bullied other children, called them names and so much more ... And all the time he was in need of love and caressing.
Here �s a big hug from me and obviously Caroline565 to you.
Hug

5 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Caroline?

This is really stupid! I thought that I was talking with mature ppl when I wrote my first comments and was seriously discussing the topic and if I said anything bad it was just after someone started first. I never start or intend to start any disagreement but when someone speaks to me using a bad language, then I reply to them with what I think they deserve. But now I see that this has all changed to childishness. I �m just sorry for the time I wasted here. I think it �s better not to discuss something else with you in the future. I �m sorry but I �m really disappointed. But it �s ok. This is an experience!

5 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >