Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Another cool object to have in your classroom!!!    

Another cool object to have in your classroom!!!

frenchfrog
France

Another cool object to have in your classroom!!!

After the Magic 8 Ball (see http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8827), here is another cool object!

(�10 - $16.28 � �11.60) (Tabletop Game)

(�6.68 - $10.87 � �7.75) (pocket version)

You have to think of something and �the thing� guesses it within 20-25 questions. If it does not find what you were thinking of, you win!

It unfortunately does not talk. You have to read the questions. But it is excellent to practise the intonation of questions (have one of your students read the question out loud for example. Actually they read the question like a chorus!!) and also understand the questions (mainly, Is it�?, Can it�?, Does it �, Would you �?, Was it�?...). You also revise a lot of vocabulary while playing.

My students and I played with �the thing� today and we were literally stunned!!! It managed to guess �a whip�, �a snowman�, �perfume� (actually it gave the answer �cologne�), �underwear� (actually it gave the answer �lingerie�), �wind�!!

We tried to make it guess �devil� but we got �computer virus� as a first answer and then �guillotine�!!! LOLLOLLOL It did not find �condom� (I played with 17-year-old students) either but suggested �lubricant� and then �sanitary napkin�!! LOLLOLLOL 

We had a great time!! We spent a whole hour playing and each time my students were like �It is not going to find it, It is not going to find it this time� and most of the time it did!! They were so flabbergasted! I was too!!!

It is quite spooky!! Confused

Frenchfrog

9 Jun 2009      

meuge
Argentina

Thank you!!!
This sounds really funny and spooky!!!

I play a game with questions with my studenst... in fact they found the page and the game... it is called AKINATOR, THE WEB GENIUS... It can be played in several languages, but we set it in English ... you think of a character �s name... anyone you fancy... someone from your town or city, a famous actor, actress, a politician,  a sports person, anyone you want... It gives you five answer- options  to choose from... : YES, PROBABLY/PARTIALLY, I DON �T KNOW, PROBABLY NOT/ OT REALLY and NO. It is very simple, but at least students have to read the questions the genius asks in English, they do it outloud so they can practise intonation as you mentioned before.... The genius manages to guess the characters most of the times!!!

Hope you like it!!

Here is the link

M. Eugenia

9 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

There is this one online too: http://www.20q.net/

9 Jun 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Greaaaaaaaaaat! Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Have you bookmarked it? (both of you!)

9 Jun 2009     

frenchfrog
France

The genie guessed George Clooney ! AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

9 Jun 2009     

dennismychina
China

My connection is as slow as a tortoise with its hand brake on tonight.

I saw the little one at the Hong Kong air port a while ago for about US $ 14

(90 Hong Kong $)

So the Amazon price is pretty good.

You can play it here.   http://www.20q.net/

I actually plan to play with my 12 year olds tomorrow.

Enjoy,

Dennis.

9 Jun 2009     

frenchfrog
France

The genie found Queen Elizabeth, Nicolas Sarkozy, Jacques Chirac, Jesus, the Devil!!!! Angry

9 Jun 2009     

sandra-lee
Canada

You can play on line...I do with my students.  They really like it!

9 Jun 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

The genie didnt find Ben Stiller lol 

9 Jun 2009     

Marshmallow (F)
France

It must be something about the way the French mind works, Frenchfrog: I hadn �t read who you �d tried and I tried......Queen Elizabeth and Nicolas Sarkozy too!!!! And of course the Genie found both of them! I �ll have to find someone to trick him!!!

Your ideas are so excellent, I didn �t know these kind of games existed, I �ll have to break my money bank for sure and buy some!!! I love the ball too, brilliant idea, thank you!!!!!  I was getting depressed with the end of the year trying to imagine of something fun to do and those ideas are definitely inspiring ! GREAT!!!!

9 Jun 2009     

Marshmallow (F)
France

By the way what �s the name of the "thing"? I �ll try to get one on Amazon...

9 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >