Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Original Speaker English Dialect Audio Files (not fake dialects) with transcripts link    

Original Speaker English Dialect Audio Files (not fake dialects) with transcripts link

douglas
United States

Original Speaker English Dialect Audio Files (not fake dialects) with transcripts link

I don �t really know if this has been posted before, I found it while researching for a lesson on how to understand English accents.  It has some excellent recordings in different accents (original speakers, not fake accents) and transcripts to go with them. The files are free to use in the classroom, you just can �t distribute them.

10 Jun 2009      

carolla
Poland

Just what I was looking for! Thanks a million! 

10 Jun 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Many thanks, Douglas, for this link. I �ve always wanted to compile a tape of some of my friends back in England who have various accents but never got round to it.
       Have a nice day!
                   Mandy

10 Jun 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks a lot, Douglas! This resource is really useful!

10 Jun 2009     

crisholm
Spain

Wonderful, thank you!

10 Jun 2009     

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot for the link. Very useful.

10 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I have tried the Spanish accent, the one I know best and yes, they were definitely Spanish. Very good link.Thanks a lot.

10 Jun 2009     

sanchan
Spain

thank you so much!Smile

10 Jun 2009     

veronika74
Hungary

Thank you. Great site.

10 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You may also want to check out the following sites:

Eva Easton�s Authentic American Pronunciation (uses RealPlayer & Flash)

TalkBank - so much here to explore!

Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE)
- this link takes you to the story of �Arthur the Rat�, a downloadable sound file & a transcript (on the page) of a story read by 10- different Americans. I used this with my Junior High School students to share some accent variations with them!

English Speakers Around the World - a collection of some great audio files. It includes �Arthur the Rat� by more than just Americans!

Sounds Familiar - a wonderful collection from the British Library and very user friendly! This is another site I introduced to my students.

English Pronunciation Tip of the Day - a useful site with a lot of tips in the archive.

Strine - an interesting site about Australia. It has some great info on cultural differences too! Explore the site if you�re interested in Australia. One word of warning though - the authors make a lot of generalisations, so always look for a second opinion (i.e. don�t use this as your only source of information!) if you�re going to study Australia in your class!

World English - just click a flag to hear a sample. There are also a lot of other interesting links here too!

Cheers,
AB

10 Jun 2009     

ajaaron
Thailand

http://australianetwork.com/englishbites/

With video.

1 Jul 2009