Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hopscotch - turned into a language game    

Hopscotch - turned into a language game

Ivona
Serbia

Hopscotch - turned into a language game

I was thinking i should give you a break and withdraw into my hole for a while, leaving the forum all to yourselves, but it �s the end of the school year (on this hemisphere), so you might be in need of ideas ...
Here �s what i did with my 3rd graders in our last class today. They drew the squares, the symbols, they hopped and when in a certain field they made up "every day, i (drink milk)" sentences. It kept them busy and excited for the whole 45 mins. We drew 2 hopscotches (can this be plural??) so boys played on one side (divided into two teams), and girls on the other. You can do this with older ss as well, on ANY grammar point or vocabulary.

EDIT: G�d morn�, everyone. I don�t know of such a rule in my country, i guess there isn�t any because we�re lagging behind in everything but corruption. I�ve darkened the ss� faces, so that should fix the problem. Thumbs Up

12 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Great idea!

12 Jun 2009     

arkel
Ireland

You never cease to amaze meHug

13 Jun 2009     

mrmatura
Poland

IVONA - YOU WERE BORN TO BE A TEACHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Jun 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

IVONA GREAT IDEA. I ALWAYS DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT BUT I DRAW BUBBLES ON THE FLOOR (SEPARATED FROM EACH OTHER) AND WRITE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES ACCORDING TO THE LEVEL OF MY STUDENTS. IF WORKING WITH YOUNGSTERS MAYBE COLORS, NUMBERS, VERBS, ETC. IF WORKING WITH ADULTS I WRITE DIFFERENT TENSES, SO YOU CALL OUT A WORD OR SENTENCES AND THEY HAVE TO  RUN TO THE CORRECT BUBBLE. IT�S SO MUCH FUN!!

AND ANOTHER IDEA INVOLVING TPR IS "THE HANDS OF THE CLOCK" WHERE YOU DRAW A CLOCK ON THE FLOOR WITHOU THE HANDS, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE YOU CHOOSE TWO STUDENTS TO REPRESENT THE HANDS, YOU CALL OUT A TIME OR IT COULD BE A SENTENCE SUCH AS i GET UP AT 7:45 AND THE SS STAND ON THAT TIME. HAVE A NICE WEEKEND EVERYBODY!!!

13 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I have a question: I would never be allowed to post pictures of my students on the internet without consent of my parents. Is it the same rule everywhere?

13 Jun 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Indeed, posting some harmless pictures of children playing in the playground can end you in court in some western countries. Isn �t that utterly pathetic?
In many countries though (Asia for sure, but I �m guessing Latin America as well) nobody would bat an eyelid or even think of an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit. They �d even be proud to be on the Internet. I guess Canada is not one of those countries...

13 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Philip, I don �t think it �s pathetic. I know I would not want harmless pictures of myself on the internet without my consent. That is why I don �t post any pictures of my friends and family without checking with them first.
For me it �s not a legal matter. It �s a matter of respect.

13 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Actually, if I posted or even took photographs of my students, for use outside of the classroom, without written consent and from their parents I could get into some huge legal problems & wind up being fired from my teaching position in a swish private school!

SO be careful when you generalise about different parts of the world... you may be surprised to find that what you think isn�t really the case at all!

But back to the start of the thread...

Love your work Ivona, you�re always an inspiration for me. Thumbs Up

CHeers,
AB

13 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

In Australia it is also inappropriate to post photos on the internet. A sad reflection of our society, isn �t it that we cannot share the innocent pleasure of people (particularly children) enjoying themselves.

13 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

In Spain we need parent �s consent, which we usually get at the beginning of the year (from, more or less, a 90% of the parents)

13 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >