Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > What about reporting to the author about mistakes/errors in ws?    

What about reporting to the author about mistakes/errors in ws?

viggia (F)
Italy

What about reporting to the author about mistakes/errors in ws?

Hello everyone.

I have been thinking of it for a long time.  It is very easy to miss a spelling mistake or a final "s" Cry, or anything else that is incorrectEmbarrassed.

As I would appreciate ClapClap to be told if/when some mistakes appear on my ws, maybe it is the same for you, as well.

It would be interesting to hear some opinions on that, as well as ideas about the best way to work it out so that possible corrections can reach all of those who have downloaded the material.Star

Thanks for your help.
Ciao from Italy

21 Oct 2008      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think it is very nice to report a spelling mistake, but in a nice way. Every time a person reported a mistake, I corrected it . But sometimes we can see comments like " you should correct your work before sending" or " I don�t have the time to correct your mistakes" .

21 Oct 2008     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Hi Viggia,
Thank you for your suggestion.I also would appreciate to be told when mistakes appear on my ws.

You know,I collect proverbs and quotes and these are my favorite about mistakes....

�By ignorance we mistake, and by mistakes we learn�

Admitting error clears the score and proves you wiser than before.
Arthur Guiterman

Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons.
Author Unkn

Only he who does nothing makes a mistake.
French Proverb

To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all.
Peter McWilliams

As someone once said: The greatest mistake is fearing to make one.

And the most important  possible corrections can reach all of those who have downloaded the material!.
I agree with you Viggia. Thanks!
 Victoria

21 Oct 2008     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree with you Viggia but the first (and last time) I did that, the member told me she knew about her mistake and that I could correct it myself.Since then, I�ve decided that I did not have to download a sheet where I could see mistakes. The plural in "mistake" is intentional. We all make some but some worksheets are full of them.

I once had a problem with a sheet of mine I had uploaded and I offered members my corrected version through emails. I figured it was the minimum I could do. I would never tell a member " I know. Correct it yourself".

Manonski

21 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I am not sure it would be a good idea unless we had the way to do it privately.

Most adults are over-sensitive at being corrected in public. Nothing to say when talking about writers or teachers.

Besides, you have to know how to do it in order not to hurt feelings.

Again, private mails (optional for those who want to make it public) would be a good solution.

Sending smiles on a stormy day here...   Smile

21 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

See also the post I started a month ago http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=113&page=1). Many members answered it.
It is never easy to tell somebody that he/she has made a mistake because you don�t know how this person is going to react. We all have our bad days! It is nice to remember that this member did 98% of the work, we can do the remaining 2%
I agree with Sylvia, it is not nice to see comments like �You should correct your work before sending it� or �I don�t have time to correct your mistakes�. Well, you just want to scream at these people: "I spend a few hours to prepare this worksheet, you are just taking it and complaining about it!!!"
A good compromise is to point out the mistake but also say that YOU can change it very easily (and it is usually the case most of the time)! This way you give the information to the following members who are going to download the printable, and the creator of the worksheet can upload a new version if necessary or if he/she has time!

Frenchfrog

21 Oct 2008     

Mietz
Germany

I usually run a spellchecker with the worksheets I download here. It�s not a problem. I still save time anyway. Somebody said in a previous discussion that that forces you to look at the worksheets and not just download and store them. That�s how I see it, too. It�s part of our responsibility to check materials before using them. People can leave notes in the comments or forum. That�s nice and helpful, but in the end it is up to the teacher to use checked worksheets. We cannot blame the authors here for mistakes. We benefit enough. Well - I certainly do...

I tend to point out mistakes. What I find important besides the tone of voice is to still thank for the worksheet. It�s still work shared and that should be appreciated.

I�ve chosen not to publish my e-mail address. I have to live with mistakes being pointed out in the comments / in public.

21 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

HI every body

We are teachers but we aren�t "error-safe" or "mistake-proof".

There is not embarrassement reporting errors on WS unless it�s done rudly or in such a way so as to hurt or offend.

REGARDS

22 Oct 2008     

marcia chaves
Brazil

I�m very happy to share my stuffs with you. I�ve been working too much and one of the consequences of all this is that I left some mistakes in my worksheets / power points. It is really hard not to make any mistakes and there isn�t not enough time to do everything just the way I want it!

So� it is important to check the worksheet / power point before handing it out for your students. If there is a mistake in one of my worksheets / power points, I will appreciate if someone takes the time to tell me. Sweet words would make me fell less embarrassed about my lack of attention!

Thanks,

M�rcia

26 Oct 2008