Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > When ´busy ´ adult learners ask to have no homework at all    

When ´busy ´ adult learners ask to have no homework at all

GIOVANNI
Canada

Linda, you said it all.  I really feel annoyed when students are not willing to make an effort just because they work all week or have a busy schedule.  What they do not realize is that the process will be longer.  I make a point at the beginning of the course of telling them that if the the extras are not done outside class that it will take much longer. 

19 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with you all, but hey, these are adults -
and what they  put in - they get out again.

I guess we have to not be ambitious on their behalf- let them take the responsibility themselves.

L

19 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

...which is why I love teaching preschoolers - you don ´t have to give them homewrok, and if you do, they love it!!! Big smile

Frankly, I have been teaching for over 16 years now all knowledge levels and age groups and I find adults the least motivating - we grown-ups are too busy, too stubborn, too difficult, too ashamed of making mistakes, too closed off, too alienated, too serious, too accustomed to finding excuses, too fast and furious (and so used to stress that we produce it by ourselves even if there  isn ´t any around)... Most adults study a language because they have to, which is the worst possible motive to do anything...
With kids, however difficult it may be and however great the responsibility, it ´s always rewarding and you always see the results, even with the most difficult sts...

Anita

19 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hear hear! I agree with Anita 100%, Thumbs Up  I love teaching kids, even teenagers.

19 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

OH, YEAH, ZORA, TEENAGERS ARE A SPECIAL BREED -  THEY DRIVE YOU CRAZY ALL THE TIME, AND YOU GET HOOKED ON THEM COMPLETELY...AS SOON AS THEY ´RE GONE, YOU MISS THEM....

19 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I know, I have a group of "tweens" as I like to call them... "twelve going on young teens" and they literally drive me crazy, yet I love them to death. They make me laugh and no matter how much I scold sometimes, it seems like all is forgotten tomorrow. Also, the want to impress me a lot of times with their "new" knowledge and it ´s extremely sweet.

19 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I know what you mean...

19 Jun 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

I work mostly with adults and I can say they are VERY different. They have more or less the same motivation - as Anita has said - they HAVE TO learn. And they are all very busy. But their attitude is very different: some try to pick up every language-related thing and activity (chatting on the net, reading, watching films...) - and I ´m extremely happy with this kind of students. But some get disappointed, because they don ´t have enough time - or will maybe - and they can see very slow progress (if any at all). To these students I say the thing: if you have 10 minutes for English today - spend 10 minutes on it. If you have 2 hours - spend 2 hours. But the most important thing is the more frequently - the better. I think all students - not depending adults, kids or teens - need to be encouraged, it ´s better if they learn 10% of what you give them than if they give up and do not learn at all.

19 Jun 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

Many studies support that students who do homework do better at their studes. I always set   some type of homework not after every lesson but frequently and they are very grateful to complete their tasks, and those who do it are more succesful at learning that those who do not.I am in favour of homework but also I don ´t tell anyone off if they do not do their task. they are adults.

20 Jun 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I teach some adults and the truth is, it depends on the student.  I have one who is really motivated to learn more and improve and he does a lot of work in his own time, whereas others have family commitments outside of work and can ´t devote much time to English.

Why not get workbooks with the key, that way the students can study at home in their own time, check their own work and come to you with any problems.  The more motivated learners will benefit and those who don ´t do homework normally won ´t feel chastized each class when they haven ´t done what ´s been set.

22 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2