Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Are people here a little obsessed about points?    

Are people here a little obsessed about points?

jana-moo
Hungary

Are people here a little obsessed about points?

Hello everybody,
Smile

I found this website by acident a couple of days ago.  I �m so happy that I did because it �s really great but some people here seem a little obsessed about points.  What do you think?

Jana

21 Jun 2009      

Mariethe House
France

Not avery good start!Smile

21 Jun 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi jana! Welcome to the wonderful world of ESLprintables!

I wouldn �t say they are obsessed! That �s too strong a word. I �d say that people who have few points and need to make downloads of older worksheets do want to get the points they are entitled to. Also, those who have 0 points want to get 30 points as fast as possible to be able to make 30 free downloads of the day �s contributions. Most of the times, however, new members bring the issue up in the forum just because they haven �t read the FAQs.

Have a nice day.
mena

21 Jun 2009     

Helen McK
Ireland

Hello Jana,Smile

Welcome to the site!

I wouldn�t say that people here are �obsessed� about points, but they are important.  If it weren�t for the points system, people would not upload to the same extent and would not contribute such quality material.  Have a look at the other teaching sites where people just �share� material for the sake of it; in all such sites that I�ve visited, the material is limited and the quality is pretty poor.  Personally, I don�t regard being competitive as a negative trait, as long as one doesn�t trample on other people, cheat and cut corners to get ahead.  A lot of really good things in our lives have come about as a result of people being competitive and driving things forward.

I admit that I�m a healthily competitive person myself.  It follows that on this site, I do like to see my points increasing, but I would never disrespect other people or their work, break the site rules or go against my own moral principles to do so. 

I�ll get off my soapbox and stop going on now Embarrassed, but I do find it a little disingenuous when some people on the site maintain that the points don�t matter; in my humble opinion, they are an integral element of this site�s success.   

Enjoy ESLprintables.

Helen

21 Jun 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I admit that I like points, however childish it may be Embarrassed, but not so obsessive about it LOL

21 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

but some people here seem a little obsessed about points.`
Yes, it is true.  SOME members here only want to raise up the points and say,"Look at what I have." Having points is a necessary part of using the website. If you don �t have them you can �t download what you need.  I �m sure there are others like me who don �t have the time to sift through the daily contributions each day to take advantage of the 30 free downloads.  So, we have to use up points to get what we need.  I �m happy to see I am closing in on being a moderator.  Each day I log in to see my total.  It makes me happy to see people like my little readers, exercises and ws. I agree that points have become an obsession with some but I believe them to be the minority. 

21 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Takes all kinds to make a world - but most of the teachers here are NOT obsessed with points- only a few - sorry you had to notice them first.
L

21 Jun 2009     

ggroneet
Israel

I love getting points on worksheets  I have worked hard to make.... Obsessed? Not me....

21 Jun 2009     

puddyd
Oman

The biggest thrill is when you see your total number of points has increased and you haven �t even sent a worksheet. It means that people have spent �real � points on you. A great thrill ;o)

21 Jun 2009     

puddyd
Oman

Ps Jana, I see you haven �y actually contributed yet. Try it and you can feel the enjoyment

21 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Jana,

You �re very welcomed here by everyone, dear.

Well, frankly speaking, at the very beginning I was obsessed about points, not because I wanted to make a bigger account, but to see how much do teachers here find my contributions as useful or not. The points were my way to development and nothing more. The comments written about my contributions helped me in many different ways and raised my spirits.

After few months, I built friendships here and my obsession and addiction turned toward my close friends. and to the forum board as well.  So, I haven �t contributed for several months- a matter that saddens me.

Anyways, thanks a lot for presenting this important and very personal issue. I was frank and I don �t feel ashamed of it!!

Hugs,
Nebal

21 Jun 2009