Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Birth certificate    

Birth certificate

jovance
Macedonia

Birth certificate

I �m doing a translation of a birth certificate and I need some help. In our country when a person is born he gets a number consisting of 13 numbers for example: 2107996456208 ( the first 7 correspond to the person �s birthday, I �m not sure what the other numbers correspond to ). I want to ask you how this number is called in English. I thought of - Personal identity number
                                   Personal reference number
                                   Personal registration number
I don �t know which one is correct or maybe it �s called in some other way.
Thanks.

27 Jun 2009      

eng789
Israel

I would go with Personal Identity Number. 

27 Jun 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

In Portugal, when you are 10, you must get an identity card. You can get it earlier but it �s compusory when you get to highschool. It used tobe called Identity card and now that the sytem is getting computorized, the new cards are known as Citizen Cards. Anyway, the corresponding number should be referred to as Identity Number, or, perhaps better, Identity Card Number; so, now it must be Citizen Card Number. But that �s because we actually have a card so we can mention its number. If that �s not your case, I think I �d go for Identity number, although it sounds very impersonal to me.
But this is the opinion of a non-native speaker. Let �s wait for other opinions.
Question Hugs from Bigbang

27 Jun 2009     

bigbang
Portugal

Sorry for my typos, I hate revising messages- it �s compulsory not compusary.

27 Jun 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Just had a quick look at my children �s birth certs.  The only number that appears is one consisting of a letter, followed by the year of birth, forward slash, letter and single digit, forward slash, 4 digit number, forward slash, single digit.  This is a Civil Registration Index number, in other words, an entry number in the register of births held in each council district.  So, to answer you query, we have no corresponding personal reference number; however, we do each have a National Health Service number.  Some  also apply for a citizencard (each has a card number) which gives proof of ID for retailers, licensees etc but this is not compulsory and if someone had any other ID they wouldn �t bother with the citizencard. Phew! Personal registration number or personal identity number sound good to me.

27 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Mine just says registration number, but hey that was way back then in the dim dark ages.  Not sure what they call it now.

27 Jun 2009     

jovance
Macedonia

Thank you for your answer.
Greetings,Beti

27 Jun 2009     

pauguzman
Argentina

interesting topic! I thought that the number corresponding to the identity of that person is called ID: Identification Number, and that number is registered in the  Birth certificate and in the Book of Birth. This is the case in Argentina, we call it D.N.I : national identity document, and this number(s) are given wen our parents register our birth in the Civil Registre. We can vote, register for going to school,etc. we this number...

what about you?

27 Jun 2009