Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Reporters and Moderators    

To Reporters and Moderators

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear,cheezels
New Zealand

You are the only one speaking about war and peace here. This is only a pedagogical issue.

As I said in my PM if you don �t mind my suggestion, try not to think as a native speaker teaching English as a FIRST language. ESL and EFL is something completely different. That is if I am not wrong about you teaching English as first language.

No one is going to open the doors for junk WS. There are limit in the use L1 in ESL and EFL. Which are very easy to comprehend.

As some say so well this site is for ESL and EFL but the experience and knowledge of the language of native speakers even those teaching English as a First language are priceless. I am not making any discrimination but let not inverse the things.

Then, again and again no one is obliged to download what is not practicle and useful for him. there are tons of WS every day and we don �t have a quota of downloads we are obliged to respect. We can download 1 WS as we can download 100 according to our need among those we find interesting.

regards

Sorry this should have appeared before Victor´s post.

29 Jun 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

It �s late here so just a few words. I was judging worksheets case by case, but �goodnesses � was very strong in her opinion and I felt compelled to vote against other languages because of the rule that worksheets should be in English, I was actually surprised that some people interpreted this as allowing  �English and another language �. Certainly the rule needs to be clarified and perhaps be more specific.
The moderators task is not always easy as there are so many worksheets being uploaded by members who wrongly claim them as their own. If Victor is going to change the rule in regards to worksheets being in English, then I do believe the task of moderating will become even more difficult, as was discussed over the weekend, so I do hope we will have more sage advice on how best to moderate so that we have fewer, not more disagreements in the future.

29 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Just a quick comment....

I�m used to EFL meaning �English as a Foreign Language� - that is, the language is being taught in an environment where English is not a customary language to use.

while �ESL� means �English as a Second Language� - a language that is used in an environment where the students will be interacting on a very regular/daily basis.

Everything I�ve read in English pedagogy uses these references and otherwise uses L1 (first language) if English were being taught to English speakers.

Just thought I�d clarify a little because I don�t believe the acronym EFL is being applied with the same meaning, which could lead to misunderstanding.

Cheers,
AB

29 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

For clarification: I am not teaching English as a first language. I am living in Sweden and my students are from Sweden and then in my other groups they are from every country in the world. We only use english in class as there is no other way. I usually have about 7-8 different languages in my class so L1 is not an option.
My Swedish groups are more ESL and my other groups are more EFL...

Why did you say I am speaking about war and peace? I am not actually but I did make reference to the war of the words...For the very reason I have not participated in the VERY HEATED discussions in the moderating page. Bordering on hysterics in the moderation section and I did not want to be a part of it. Like Zora I get turned off by the way some people talk to each other and cannot discuss things nicely.

And anyway after reading Victors post it turns out that I think the same as him so what is the problem you have with what I have written exactly? I think you have completely missed the message in both of my posts in this thread.

29 Jun 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

You are right AB ESL and EFL aren �t the same as you explain it so well however in the two case English is not the first language.

29 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I believe the rules say that
resources have to be in English,
This IMPLIES the WHOLE ws needs to be in English. In English means just that. :)

29 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Here is what Victor just wrote:

Quote unquote:

"I know I made the rule, but I �ve seen worksheets or powerpoints that become senseless if they are fully translated to English language:

Bilingual lists
Translate into English
Join the English words with their translation in your mother language.
etc.

For example, if I find an exercise in which students have to match Phrasal verbs in English with their meaning in French, it would be easy for me to change the words in French into Spanish.

On the other hand, I find no reason to include explanations or instructions in other languages. We should write them in English, and every teacher can translate them to their own language if they want.

It is not our role to judge if these are good methods or not. Each user can see the preview and decide if the worksheet is useful for him/her.

As I said before, it is impossible to set clear rules for everything. We always have to draw a line between what is allowed or not. Sometimes moderators will have to do that according to their own feelings.  A good way would be to think: "What would happen if all users send contributions like this? Would it harm the website?" If the answer is yes, then it should be removed, otherwise it should stay."

29 Jun 2009     

victor
Spain

I don �t want every single word that I say in the forum to be considered as a rule. We are just sharing opinions. I like to hear every user �s opinion before making changes.
If I decide to change any rule, it will be clearly explained in the uploading page and the moderating page.

29 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
I �m from those who voted to delete a worksheet if it had other language. I exchanged some pm with Goodnesses about that and agreed to stop voting about those printables until the rules became clearer.
I know that I refuse to download a printable with other language even if I could make the change. The opposite is also true. You can download a printable in just English and modify it to insert mother tongue if you prefer. It is my opinion that the printables on this site should be in English only but it �s just an opinion. I �ll go with the majority and what is decided. In the meantime, I �ll follow the discussion.

Have a good day! It �s my last day! Yippee! Hello sunshine...here I come.

29 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

If I use Danish in my worksheets for my Danish students - I make a second copy to share here on this site because the Danish translations aren �t going to help anyone here.

On this site we share English teaching materials because that is the subject we teach and the language we all have in common.

Most worksheets are word documents that can edited. So no big deal. I just edit the Danish out before uploading here to save you all the time and trouble.

If a teacher here wants to add their native language to a worksheet - they can just do that.
L

29 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >