Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help Needed    

Help Needed

Maria Isabel
Peru

Help Needed

Can anybody help me?
I�m teaching FCE students and it turns kind of difficult for my students to understand or learn how to form new words...I�ve given them lists of prefixes and suffixes with their meanings and lots of exercises (including the ones taken from this site) but it�s still very hard for them to know exactly what prefix or suffix to use in each case...
Do you have a special methodology to teach this...or any suggestions on what steps to follow to form new words? or they just will have to memorize them?
I don�t know what else to do since it is a very difficult thing to do for them I believe they�re starting to feel they will never be able to make it...and that worries me A LOT!!!
Any ideas will help.
Thanks
Maria Isabel

23 Oct 2008      

agbrites
Brazil

Maria Isabel,

Why do you have to teach those things?? Just be simple. Give them lots of listening and lots of conversation.
Teaching grammar and stuff like that makes students bored and they just give it up. Remember - the most important is having fun.

Good luck
agbrites

23 Oct 2008     

oregon91
Argentina

Hi Maria Isabel: I also teach FCE here in Argentina. What I do is I group the prefixes and suffixes. For example, one class I teach the prefix RE- and words that are used with that prefix (redo, rewrite, etc) and we do some exercises. The following class I teach another prefix or and every four or five classes I give them a word formation exercises with all the prefixes and sufixes that were taugh the previous classes. Usually for homework they have a regular word formation exercise. I made them buy the LONGMAN Exams Dictionary and it is very useful when they have to look up a word.  
Hope I helped you a little.
Warm Regards,

Fernanda

23 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Maria,

I have a prefix bingo game that i uploaded ages ago - only one person downloaded so i assumed people weren�t interested in this sort of resource and deleted it.  It is a very comprehensive bingo game with many different words for different prefixes.  You call out the prefix and students remove the words they have with this prefix.  Once they are familiar with the definitions - i tell them the definition - they guess the prefix and then remove the appropriate words.  I will repost it now incase you do want it.  I find my students get a feel for prefixes if they use them a lot.  Sorry i can�t repost as I can�t find it - i do have the original in excel format - this way you can easily change or add new words if you want to - just email me and I will send it to you.  [email protected]

Alternativly you can always have word races.  put up a root or base word (eg - ceed).  In small groups (3-4 students) give them 1 minute (use a timer they can see - it creates urgency) have students list as many words as possible using prefixes and suffixes.  At the end they get a further 1 minute to check their answers and remove inappropriate creations.  Then go through as a class and list all of the possible alternatives.  You get 1 point for a correct word, and -1 point for an incorrect word.  Winning team gets a prize or points for their group or whatever reward system you are using.  Kids love this game - my students ask to play this game they like it so much!

The first time you play have them brainstorm the prefixes and suffixes on the whiteboard before you start.

23 Oct 2008     

Maria Isabel
Peru

Thanks to all you for your useful ideas. It is so fantastic to find people who reply and show they care for our needs.
Regards.
Maria Isabel

23 Oct 2008