Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help!! Please     

help!! Please

arisdely
Ecuador

help!! Please

hello to everyone.......

I �m doing a research about THE COMMUNICATIVE APPROACH TO THE TEACHING OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES.....

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS METHOD???
WHO CREATED THIS WAY OF TEACHING???

please....I �m studying and I need this information....

THANKS A MILLON!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAVE A NICE DAY!!

3 Jul 2009      

xuxutati
Brazil

Hi there!!!

Take a look at the following authors: Stephen Krashen and H.. Douglas Brown.

Good

3 Jul 2009     

xuxutati
Brazil

Good luck!

3 Jul 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi ,

1. The Natural/Communicative Approach (1960s-2000s): Originally developed by Tracy Terrell and Stephen Krashen, this acquisition-focused approach sees communicative competence progressing through three stages: (a) aural comprehension, (b) early speech production, and (c) speech activities, all fostering "natural" language acquisition, much as a child would learn his/her native tongue. Following an initial "silent period", comprehension should precede production in speech, as the latter should be allowed to emerge in natural stages or progressions. Lowering of the Affective Filter is of paramount importance. Only the target language is used in class now, introducing the "total immersion" concept for the very first time, with auditory input for the student becoming paramount. Errors in speech are not corrected aloud. Now enters the era of glossy textbooks, replete with cultural vignettes, glossaries, vocabulary lists, and glazed photographs. A deliberate, conscious approach to the study of grammar is considered to have only modest value in the language learning process. Pairing off of students into small groups to practice newly acquired structures becomes the major focus. Visualization activities that often times make use of a picture file, slide presentations, word games, dialogues, contests, recreational activities, empirical utterances, and realia provide situations with problem-solving tasks which might include the use of charts, maps, graphs, and advertisements, all to be performed on the spot in class. Now the classroom becomes more student-centered with the teacher allowing for students to output the language more often on their own. Formal sequencing of grammatical concepts is kept to a minimum.

Hope it hit the target!!

Nebal

3 Jul 2009     

xuxutati
Brazil

Sorry, my computer is nuts sometimes!!! Try to look for the following authors:

Stephen Krashen
  H. Douglas Brown

There is a lot of information about them on the Net.

Good luck!

Marianne

3 Jul 2009     

arisdely
Ecuador

thanks.....NEBAL, XUXUTATI!! wow.....you �re really nice!! people like you makes me love this site even more!

3 Jul 2009     

arisdely
Ecuador

thanks.....NEBAL, XUXUTATI!! wow.....you �re really nice!! people like you makes me love this site even more!

3 Jul 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Oh Arisdely,
You �re welcome at any time. Plus, we �re here to give a hand to you dear friends. 
I �m glad you found the site useful.

All the best,
Nebal

3 Jul 2009     

Do carmo
Brazil

Dear Arisdely,

This might also be helpful:

BRUMFIT, C. J. (1988). Communicative methodology in language teaching: the roles of fluency and accuracy . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

WIDDOWSON. H. D. (1978).  Teaching English as Communication. London: Oxford University Press.

Hugs from Brazil!

4 Jul 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hiya Arsidely

It followed on from the audio-lingual approach used in the sixties. Like the other members have said, check out Krashen and Brown.  But also Nunan.  There are a lot of e-journals on this approach that you can access via your university �s electronic data-base.  I did most of my research for my assignments using e-journals.  Some may be freely available on the internet but if you are at uni they will have a subscription to many TESOL publications and you yourself should not need to pay to access these.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Jul 2009