Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help needed in a translation    

help needed in a translation

Missbrittany
France

help needed in a translation

I �m helping a friend writing a poster in English on silent demonstrations for human rights that are held in France. The demonstraters form circles and remain silent for an hour. These demonstrations are called �cercle de silence � in French. Would it be circle of silence or rings of silence in English? And does this �tag � sound correct to you ? A person �s dignity shouldn �t be discussed, it must be respected!

4 Jul 2009      

SmartD
France

I think is better rings of silence and the tag sound good to me

4 Jul 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

I�ve heard the term "Circles of Silence"--- not the others, though. And yeah, it sounds like a great tag!!

4 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

I haven �t actually heard the term as far as I recall but, the term "circle of silence" seems to best describe what you are doing and your goal.  Circle leaves a better feel of the "human" element you are trying to achieve.  Ring sounds more impersonal or material.

The tag line is good.

4 Jul 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

I have a small suggestion about the tag. I think that it would be better to say "integrity" instead of "dignity" because dignity means your self-respect, but integrity has a slightly different meaning. Here is the denotation: integrity -- (moral soundness; ``he expects to find in us the common honesty and integrity of men of business"; "they admired his scrupulous professional integrity � � ).

I hope that I haven �t offended anyone. It is just that my mother always made this distinction.

Carla

4 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

Carla, I �m sorry but, I think dignity is the right word here.  I �m not sure about their cause but, for example, if they are talking about how an elderly person is treated in a nursing home dignity would be the right word. (treated with dignity) 

ALSO, I thought a little more and the tag might be a little better as:

A person �s dignity shouldn �t be discussed, it should be respected.  (the parallelism of using should twice makes the statement stronger)

4 Jul 2009     

Missbrittany
France

Thanks for your help, Douglas, Carla and SamrtD! I �ll change the tag!

4 Jul 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Well, Douglas, if you have integrity, you must also have dignity. I suppose that both may be fine. Sometimes English is that way: you can really "wordsmith" a sentence to death, and there �s nothing worst than a dead sentence. I humbly beg your pardon. Smile

Carla

4 Jul 2009