Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > New to the site + a worksheet question    

New to the site + a worksheet question

Tint
South Africa

New to the site + a worksheet question

Hi folks!

I have started uploading my own worksheets. I do hope people will be able to use them. They have been tested in the classroom and have worked well so far : )

I have a question though. I see that the font on my worksheet has changed once it is online. I should have expected that, as not everyone has the same fonts I do. Is there some way around this? Is there a recommended list of fonts or something? I know there is a way to embed a font in a document, but I don �t know how to do that. Any suggestions?

5 Jul 2009      

JulietaVL
Mexico

I hope to make myself clear enough and help you

See, I use powerpoint for this, I open a text square "cuadro de texto" in Spanish... then I write the sentence I want, for example: "fruits" in the square text

Then I change "fruits" into the font I want ... when finished  click right (right click or however it is called) and save the square text as an image, it is quite easy.

Finally I insert that image in the word document.

Good luck! 

P.S I guess it only works in Powerpoint 2007.

5 Jul 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Julieta & Tint,
It works in Powerpoint 2003, too. Clever!
I use Paint to save the word as an image. I type in Word, choose whatever fonts I like, then press PrtSc (PrintScreen) on the keyboard and paste it in Paint. Then I cut what I need and back to Word.

Tint,
Welcome to this wonderful family!
Gabitza

5 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Thanks Gabitza and Julieta! Julieta, I understood you well : ) I do graphic design, so it would be no problem to create an image. Good idea! I must do some research into embedding the font into the document. I know there is a way to do it. If we can do that, it will cut out the step of needing to make an image.

Thank you for the welcome : )

Tint~

5 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I found it! In your Word preferences or options, you go to the "Save" tab. There you will find "Embed fonts in the file". Make sure that is checked. I have also checked "Embed only the characters used in the document", so that I can keep the file size down.

I hope this helps someone else too. Now I can update my worksheets : )

5 Jul 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Hey Tint,
It sure helped! I did it! Thanks a lot!

5 Jul 2009     

averitope
Argentina

Hi! Welcome to the site Tint! As I have the same problem when uploading, I tried to do what you found out but I can �t find it in my Word. Which one do you have in your computer? I have office 2007. Thanks!

5 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Glad it worked, Gabitza : )

Averitope, I have Office 2007 too. Click on that circle in the top left of the program, the Office button. At the bottom of the window that opens, you �ll see "Word Options". Click on that. In the column on the left, find "Save". The option to embed your fonts is at the bottom. Click "Ok" and you �re done.

Thank you for the welcome!

5 Jul 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

WELCOME and GOOD LUCK!

5 Jul 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Thanks Tin and Gabitza!!!

I learnt something new today =)  Warm hugs

5 Jul 2009     

sulin