Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > listen to. Is ispossible say "listenning of"?    

listen to. Is ispossible say "listenning of"?

Rosa F�lix
Portugal

listen to. Is ispossible say "listenning of"?

Could you please tell me if it �s wrong to use the listen like this:

... next step:
- listening of a song.

The doubt lies with the preposition "to" but in the upper case I mean listening as a noun.

Thank you in advance. I know you �ll answer me.

7 Jul 2009      

cookingongas
France

Hi Rosa,

It �s fine to say "listening of a song" as long as you know that "listening" in this case is a noun.

For example, "I didn �t like that song at first, but after the third or fourth listenings, I started to like it more."

All the best,

Charles.

7 Jul 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I would use
�next step: listening to a song �

we don �t listen of a song - I am not sure why Charles has said this is ok - I can not think of a single sentence where this would make sense - sorry Charles.  Post a proper sentence with of a song in it to prove me wrong please.

Also the sentence he uses as an example does not sound correct either.
For example, "I didn �t like that song at first, but after the third or fourth listenings, I started to like it more."

It should be:
For example, "I didn �t like that song at first, but after the third or fourth time , I started to like it more."

You do not need the bit in <> - it is implied by the rest of the sentence.

I think the confusion is around using listen as a noun - it can´t be used this way can it???
Hope this helps.
Vicki

7 Jul 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with cheezels, I have never heard the form "listening of".... 

7 Jul 2009     

cookingongas
France

What �s Cheezels said about this? I can �t see his post....

Vicki, "listening" can be a noun, it �s the noun form of the verb.

"After my second listening, I understood the exercise completely"

I agree it �s a little unusual, but I maintain that we can, if we wish to, say "it took ten listenings of the CD before my students could answer that hard question!"

Best wishes,

Charles.

7 Jul 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Although dictionaries don �t give a separate entry for �listening �, as far as I am aware, lthe wrod can be used in a number of ways:

He works at the government listening post in Cheltenham.
Stop listening in to our conversation.
Do you need any help with your listening?
The final section on your exam paper will be listening.
We �re going to work on a listening now.  (I �m quoting fellow teachers here who would say this as a matter of course to their pupils.)

With regard to Charles � sentence: ...after the third or fourth listenings... , I have heard this said many times, but only with a singular �listening �.

I have never come across �listening of �, though; �listening about �, yes - often.  (What �s the listening on the exam about, miss?)

8 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

You hear the statement "after ten listenings..." but, as far as I know, it isn �t proper English.  It �s an attempt at modifying the language in order to simplify it--which I am not against.

It is easier and quicker to say "after ten listenings..." than to say "After listening to the audio ten times..."  so it is being used more and more often but, I wouldn �t say it has reached full (nor near-full) acceptability yet.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

Douglas

OBTW--If you Google "listenings" you will find it is only found on foreign pages, a good indication that it isn´t proper.

8 Jul 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I totally agree with Douglas.  I have also heard it used this way, but  to date, I don �t think it has been accepted as grammatically correct.

8 Jul 2009     

Rosa F�lix
Portugal

Thank you very much to all of you !!!

8 Jul 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I �ve definitely heard (& used) �listening � in the manners described so well by ballycastle. Now he �s British & I �m Australian, so it seems to be in use with a fair spread of native English speakers... this would indicate that it is correct in terms of descriptive grammar in several dialects of English but not currently accepted as standard use according to prescriptivce grammars.

Cheers, AB

8 Jul 2009