Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > When do the children star learning English as a Foreing Language in your country?    

When do the children star learning English as a Foreing Language in your country?

sviviana
Portugal

When do the children star learning English as a Foreing Language in your country?

Hi guys!
I �m doing a research about Foreign Languague teaching. 

Can you tell me when do children begin to learn english in your country? Is it primary school? Since when? Is is mandatory?

Here in Portugal since 2005/2006 children begin to learn english in primary schools, first only  9 and 10 year olds (3rd and 4th grades) this year 1st and 2nd grades began as well, but its optional, they go if they or their parents want to.  And it not in the curricula.

How does it work in you coutry?

Thank you!

Sandra

8 Jul 2009      

lomasbello
Venezuela

In Venezuela, they start learning English since they are in Kindergarten. It really works!! It is incredible how they get the vocabulary. Toddlers learn so fast and enjoy it so much!!

8 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I work at a branch of an American school, we have courses that kids can start when they are 3 years old, but most of children start around 7, 8 y.o.

When they start really young they develop their pronunciation, entonation, (and all the "ation") pretty well, some of them speak like native American speakers.

I only teach adolescents and adults but sometimes I substitute a teacher in beginners � level and they are very, very good.

Zailda

8 Jul 2009     

Mishuna
Argentina

Hi Viviana, in Argentina it �s compulsory from 4th year (9 nine years old). However, children are attending English classes in 1st year or kindergarten in private schools.

8 Jul 2009     

Lenisol
Paraguay

Hello! In Paraguay, children in private schools start learning English in kindergarten. However, English in the public sector starts in what we call "Nivel Medio" that is, the last three years of secondary education(15-16 years old). English, or any other foreign language, is mandatory by the Ministry of Education only for "nivel medio."
The level of teachers, and hence students, in the private sector is generally high. Unfortunately, this does not happen in public schools, where teachers do not have the necessary preparation and proficiency to teach the language comfortably.

8 Jul 2009     

melahel7
Canada

In Canada, Qu�bec has a particular status for it has a french-speaking population.  I bet there are a lot of people in both north and south america who are not aware that french is spoken as a mother tongue by about 8 million individuals; most of them living in Qu�bec.  Up to the 80s, english was first taught in fourth grade.   In 2002, in third grade.  Finally, in 2006, it became mandatory in first grade.   English is taught throughout high school and also at the C�GEP level.  In Qu�bec, the term � �college � � has a different interpretation and designates a level of study between high school and university.   Qu�bec �s educational system is quite unique in that sense and I don �t think that the same exists elsewhere.  Last, but not least, the teaching of english as a second language in Qu�bec is a political issue.  Many feel that the mastery of french should be the priority.  Hope this was insightful. 

8 Jul 2009     

ilona
Costa Rica

Hi, in Costa Rica is mandatory in public schools,  they receive English lessons every day and it covers all the levels. 

8 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

To add to melahel7 comment, because of the political issue and because it �s important for the students to master their own mother tongue, we do not teach reading and writing in ESL in the beginning. For their first two years of English, teachers read stories and present songs/nursery rhymes to the students. They are asked to read and write only when they get to 3rd grade.

8 Jul 2009     

petili
Bulgaria

Hi in Bulgaria Students start learning English when they are 6 or 7 years old  orally, without reading and writing. Whenthey are 2nd grade( 8 years old) they start with the alphabet - our alpfabet is completely different from the Latin one, and from 3rd grade on they start readinga and writing in English too It �s in the curricula from the 2nd grade. Some get very, very good.
Petya

8 Jul 2009     

goodguy
Zambia

here in Bangalore (Karnataka) babies are introduced to english words by the family in day to today vocabulory. Play schoold (which begin from 2 year onwards) speak and teach in english only. By the time child reaches first standard (i.e 5 years or so) the child knows to read, write and talk in english.

Have a good day.

8 Jul 2009     

Rominucha
Argentina

It depends on the province and the type of school as well! Now, things have changed. It is compulsory for students aged 5 or 6 (1st form - primary and state schools). You can find some private and bilingual schools where children start learning English when they are 3 years old - kindergarten children.

There are also English Institutes which have courses for babies. I mean, English for Babies - from 6 months old onwards. It is a special class -  mummies and babies are together, listening to songs and playing. A different approach, of course.

8 Jul 2009     

1    2    3    Next >