Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What can I do??    

What can I do??

Marcia Silva
Brazil

What can I do??

Hi everybody!!!!

I have a 40 year-old student, Chinese, but he was raised here in Brazil. However, as his parents spoke with him only in Chinese when he was a kid, he learned both languages: Portuguese and Chinese .

He has been studying English with me for 2 years. He speaks everything you can imagine, any subject I ask him about, he is able to discuss, read or explain. His pronunciation is awesome, really good!

But, for some time, he has been complaining about his listening. He says he doesn�t understand anything, even the basic listenings. How can this be possible. I got angry with him because of that, and I even thought he was pretending, as he has strong structures and wide vocabulary.

Now, I need to start a listening course(It disturbs me, because I�ve been teaching him for so long and he never said anything about not understading). As he discussed the topics and always gave me the idea he understood, I thought he didn�t have listening problems.

I was working with him studying grammar, listening and discussing texts, news and songs. Now, I I feel myself lost. I really would like a suggestion about material or techniques to help this student.

Please, help me!!!!

8 Jul 2009      

life_line
Ukraine

Hi dear Marcia!

well, honestly, I �m lost. Maybe try www.elllo.org and he will read along while listening. Or you can make him record his own voice while reading aloud and then listen to it. He �ll more or less remember what the text is about as he was the one that recorded it. Actually this idea just popped into my head and I don �t know whether it will prove useful to you but if it does I �ll be more than glad. Anyway, if you need some further advice, I �ll be more than willing to help. Contact me whenever you need. Sorry can �t wait for the answer as midnight is almost here and I �m making for my bed =) �Hope more experienced colleagues will be able to help you out more.

Best regards,

Olia

8 Jul 2009     

yuliya888
Ukraine

Did you come across "Oxford Exam Excellence" book? It �s really very useful and has many activities. You can see sample pages here:
http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/isbn/0-19-443002-2?cc=global#sample_pdf

8 Jul 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

What happens is that usually pp are scared of listening exercises cause they want to understand EVERY-SINGLE-WORD.
What I do with my grow up stds is to do songs or maybe series, like friends or others.
Something they can relate easily too and they can also dosome lipreading which will make it easier on him.
There are several activities on movies or series you can find on the site. They are AWESOME

Good Luck!

8 Jul 2009     

Zora
Canada

Try this site:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~adelegc/index.html

I use it all the time with my adults who complain about not understanding the listening activities. I find that it usually helps them a lot.

8 Jul 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

More listening exercises here.

8 Jul 2009     

Marcia Silva
Brazil

Thank you so much friends for your ideas. I�ll try the tips you gave me, ok???? See you...

9 Jul 2009