Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > genre&grammar    

genre&grammar

Rosangella
Brazil

genre&grammar

Hi teachers,

Here in Brazil is starting a new methodology , it �s named genre, discursive genre. The teachers have to teach to students the differents kinds of discurse: recipes, letters,complaint letters,  emails, messages, curriculum vitae, news, informative text, comics, HQ, dialogues, fairy tales,fable, comic strips and so on.
Each one has a particular caracteristic , the discursive aspects are different and the aim is show these differences to the students because they need learning several   discursive genre, whereas here in esl site is commmon records of downloads of grammar ws. Then I would like to know how is the world teaching style. This is the reason I sent this question to some members from different countries.  I would like other opinions. Can you comment about this, please?

Hugs,
Rosangella

11 Jul 2009      

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

You can find all of that here, but it is not all going to be on the Recent Contributions page. In other words, you will have to search and use your points to get it. If you send me a pm, I can help you with ones that are for intermediate and advanced students, but please ask the other members as well.

Carla

11 Jul 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I know advertising you own WS is frowned upon, so dont take this as advertising, plz! :)
I uploaded some time ago a WS on how to write a comparative commentary, you can find there some links that might help you find info. As well as a chart to compare/analyze txts from different points of view.
the comp comm is part of the IB program
As regards teaching how to analyze...well I find it quite hard, esp cause my stds are not used to doing it in their mother tongue. However, once they �ve done it enough its easier

Well, if you dont have points pm me and I �ll send you the WS "for free" LOL :D

11 Jul 2009     

Thalia Gralik
Brazil

Hello darling!!! Greetings from Curitiba!!
How R U doing?? Well, the school I work at  requires me to work with the sts different kinds of texts as you said "discursive genre", I developed some of them, you can see one of my work at http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=251853#thetop,  and I �ll get some extra material for you.
I hope I can help you, and please if you get some more U can send me too!!!
Darling I�ll try to send you the material I have already separetd for you!!!
Kisses,
Thalia

11 Jul 2009     

Nani Pappi
Portugal

I believe the discursive genre begins with Vygostky and Bakthin. Try searching "An�lise critica do discurso" in google scholar and you may get some academic articles on the theme. I think this new approach is unknown to many of us. There is some bibliography that may be useful:

Butt, D., R. Fahey, S. Feez, S. Spinks & C. Yallop (2000): Using Functional Grammar: An Explorer�s Guide. 2nd Ed., Sidney:Butt,

D., R. Fahey, S. Feez, S. Spinks & C. Yallop (2000): UsingFunctional Grammar: An Explorer�s Guide. 2nd Ed., Sidney:NCETR-Macquarie University.

Fairclough, N. (2003): Analysing discourse: Textual Analysis for Social Research. London: Routledge.

Martin, J. R, & D. Rose (2007): Working with Discourse: Meaning beyond the Clause. London: Continuum, 2nd Rev Ed.

Wetherell, M., S. Taylor & S. J. Yates (2001): Discourse as data: A Guide for Analysis. London: Sage/The Open University.

Wetherell, M., S. Taylor & S. J. Yates (2001): Discourse Theory and Practice: A Reader. London: Sage/The Open University.

12 Jul 2009