Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching Primary Children!    

Teaching Primary Children!

maggy69
Portugal

Teaching Primary Children!

HEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

I started teaching little (primary) children (form 6 to 10) this week and I am not used to it so any suggestions and sites where I can inspire myself and use are welcome. We do not have a book yet and the 1st and 2nd years will not have one. The children of the 1st year do not write so I am having some trouble finding interesting activities for them.

Thanks in advance!Wacko

17 Sep 2008      

brobit
Canada

Hello Maggy,

Here are some sites where you can find interesting things to do with little kiddoes.
A suggestion I would give you is start with simple things: Colors, numbers, letters, ect.
Songs are great, specially if you have pictures next to the lyrics. Stories in big books are also likes by young children.

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/

http://www.education-world.com/

http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

Hope it helps a bit.

Good luck in your teaching young children. They are so much fun to teach to. Try having fun with them, that usually inerests them.

17 Sep 2008     

maggy69
Portugal

This is really a great site!

A wonderful community!

A really need help cause I do not know what to do whith those who can not read or write.

Special thanks to snow-white and to brobit!

Thank you Victor to bring us altogether!

17 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Maggy
Flashcards, flashcards, flashcards (you can join the flashcard fanclub if you want...

I suggest you spend some time preparing some flashcards to use with the children.  Start with you basics

Colours
Numbers
classroom objects

Gather together some songs:
Good morning good morning, how are you today, I�m fine thanks I�m fine thanks... etc
There are already a lot of music sites recommended above and also on previous discussions - I suggest you check out the other discussion boards on this website.

I know a country where they teach the whole basics of a language through song only.  Put some actions with the song and you are on a roll.  I love the colours song:

- I can sing a rainbow
- alphabet
- numbers
- Do the hokey pokey
- repitition songs are also fun - ie repeat after me "I had a house, I had a house, Just a silly old house, just a silly old house etc.

Nearly every song I have ever wanted to use is on youtube.  And if your country has blocked youtube - there is a addon to mozilla firefox that unblocks youtube.

Teach them some games:  Simon Says is always a favourite with little ones.

hope it helps

17 Sep 2008     

petite_helene
Portugal

Hi!

Last year the same happened to me! This year I only have 1st and 2nd grade classes. I�ve a 0 unit about greetings. If you want you can send me an email to:

[email protected]

Then I�ll send you the unit. I�ve assembled some worksheet and a woksheet about a film form the collection Magic English and to conclude a Picture Dictionary.

So do send an email if you need help.

Helena

17 Sep 2008     

nanaduhalde
Argentina

Hello Maggie!! Well, to begin with, I have to tell you that although teaching English to young children may seem easy for some, it�s not true at all. It�s really hard because of the material you need, the limitations you have to take into account as regards age, etc. It�s a real challenge, but it�s extremely rewarding because of the positive feedback you get from your children. Any way, I�m currently teaching English to 1st graders, and I�ve done so for a long time. So I�ll give you my e-mail so you can get in touch with me if you�re interested. I could give you some ideas and material to work if you wish, so let me know. XXX Mariana
[email protected]

18 Sep 2008     

nanaduhalde
Argentina

By the way Maggie, I love your worksheets!!! Thanks.

18 Sep 2008     

maggy69
Portugal

Thanks Vickiii for the suggestion!
About the flashcard fanclub could you give a link?
THANNNNNNNNNNKS!!!!

18 Sep 2008