Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The meaning of Punkies    

The meaning of Punkies

sueee
Portugal

The meaning of Punkies

Hello,
I can�t find a meaning to the word "punkies". Can you help me with it? The context is "In England children make "punkies" out of large beets." Where can I find a picture to explain it?
Thanks in advance.
Have a nice weekend.

25 Oct 2008      

sueee
Portugal

Thanks ladybird. My doubt was the relation between pumpkins and beets in this context. They are both vegetables. How can you do a pumpkin out of a beet? They are talking about sculpt, of course. Does it sounds you right? Do you know the meaning of "rutabagas"? Thanks again.Thumbs Up

25 Oct 2008     

sueee
Portugal

I found the meaning of rutabaga. It�s a yellow turnip.

25 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi, I can answer that...

People used to make "jack-o-lanterns" out of beets and turnips until the Spanish brought pumkins and other gourds back from South America. In fact, the Irish even used potatoes at one time... You see, Halloween was a Celtic holiday and people used to leave "lanterns" burning all night outside to keep the spirits away. Halloween back then, was considered the one day/night of the year that the veil between the living and the dead was the thinnest  and they belived that the dead could come and pay you a visit...

25 Oct 2008     

sueee
Portugal

Thanks Zora. Can you tell me about your Halloween habits in Canada? I would like to be your penpal if you are interested. I�m not an English Native Speaker and I would like to improve my English. What do you think?
Have a nice weekend.

25 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Our habits are the same as the Americans, I think. Although, we tend to go out trick or treating less and less and do more parties at home. Also, people love to decorate their yards, not only with pumpkins but with fake tombstones and ghosts and stuff...

And sure, I�d like that a lot. I never had a penpal before... believe it or not...

My email is [email protected]

25 Oct 2008     

viggia (F)
Italy

Thank you Zora for your reply on the other topic, as well.

Have a nice we.
Viggia

25 Oct 2008