Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What do you prefer to teach first: Simple Present or Present Continuous?    

What do you prefer to teach first: Simple Present or Present Continuous?

Spanglish girl
Argentina

What do you prefer to teach first: Simple Present or Present Continuous?

Hi everyone!!

This is a doubt I have always have, and I still don �t know what �s the best thing to do. So I would like to know your opinion and reasons, just to have some other views.

I know my question might be silly, but I �ve been searching, and books, teachers, schools and programs dont always coincide in their choices.

Thanks in advance.

23 Jul 2009      

Magda_teacher
Uruguay

Hi!
I prefer starting with the preset simple because I consider it simpler.
I think that adding ING is easier for students that clearing it.

23 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I teach Present Continuous because ss are used to verb to be. Teaching the P. Continuous I introduce the verbs they will learn several classes later how to use in Present Simple. Also I think it easier because the short answer for the p. cont. is the same for the v. to be: yes, I am, etc...

After introducing several verbs with the p. continuous, ss. are ready to learn v. to have in the pres. simple, and after the v. to have I introduce the others.

Have a nice Thursday

Zailda

23 Jul 2009     

celia86
Argentina

hi there!
I prefer present simple, so that ss can become familiar with the verb to be, to then apply it to the present continuous. But, I think it all depends on how YOU as a teacher make it worth.
good luck!

23 Jul 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

Hi

I usually teach Present Simple first. I think it helps to learn a lot of verbs in their base form, and also I consider it easier grammar to learn - at least for Russian students. Everybody knows, for example, �Do you speak English? �, etc.  It �s simpler to understand word order. And one more thing for this choice: Present Simple provides a lot of activities on hobbies, likes, habits, everyday life - so it helps me and my students to get to know everybody, as this grammar mostly goes at the beginning of the course.

23 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

present simple, then past simple, then future simple with will, then present cont (usually).

I do this because I always start class talking about what we did on the weekend so they need the past simple pretty quick.

23 Jul 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I reach present simple, then tackle present continuous as my adult students really struggle with this tense and then, like Douglas, quickly introduce simple past.Hug

23 Jul 2009     

kookoola
Switzerland

I � d rather do PS first - it seems more convenient to teach verbs with it.

Many coursebooks suggest teaching PAST simple after this, and only then - PC...

23 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I usually have elementary kids when we start using tenses (age 8). Since I start with the imperative when they �re preschoolers, because I teach them commands with please (Jump, please). Since smaller kids are used to living in the moment, it seems most natural to teach the Present Continuous.

23 Jul 2009     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

I prefer to spend a lot of time with the Present Simple first because Ss usually have the tendency to add "ing" everywhere! So, in this way I try to anticipate the mistake.

I consider the Present Simple as one of the most difficult tenses in the English language (maybe even the most difficult, considering that it is one of the first that Ss get to learn).  So, I prefer to do it at the beginning of the year when Ss are more receptive (and rested)!

23 Jul 2009