Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Proverb    

Proverb

Damir77
Russian Federation

Proverb

Hi:)

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step" (Chinese proverb)

http://www.travelbtm.com/apps/forums/topics/show/1029967-july-16-2009

That �s how we can understand this proverb. What �s your opinion?

Damir

23 Jul 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

For me personally it has always been about delaying - stop delaying and take that first step, or �he who dares, wins � as Delboy would put it...(thanks for the post - this is one of my favourite proverbs ever)
Anita

23 Jul 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I think it �s to do with encouragement.
I think the proverb encourages those who are afraid to set out for a great deed thinking they arent � capable.

23 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

In this day and age where people want results really fast and easy - sometimes
the journey to success is in the process and not the end result.
There are no short cuts.
So the road to success is in taking the first step.

L

23 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I think "the first step" means that you have to focus on one step at a time and forget about the long way ahead. If you focus on the present and each day you make the necessary efforts for today �s step and to prepare tomorrow �s step, you �ll certainly get there.

I have to add that some people give up after the first steps, for them I have another one: "the indians � rain dancing works because they dance until it rains". It �s a translation, I don �t know if there �s a name for the dance indians perform to make it rain. But this "proverb" helped me get everything I wanted because I insist until I get it, and never, ever give up. If I have problems I look for solutions and try to learn during the journey.

Cheers

Zailda

23 Jul 2009     

maufon
Costa Rica

Hi. for some reason i can�t  get into the site you sent.

I think that a possitive mind, encouragement and determination are nesessary to start the journey. First of all you have to be sure about what you want, how do you visualize yourself in the future and how far you want to go.

As libertybelle said, the journey to success is in the process, because if  you love what you are working for, you would feel successful then. The secret is to do what you love and to believe in yourserlf.

23 Jul 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Very motivating proverb and so so sooooooooooo true!!!

23 Jul 2009