Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I NEED YOUR HELP!    

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Popina
Uruguay

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Can anybody help me I �m almost certain I have a dyslexic student. He is 9, but his handwriting is like a 6 year old, he confuses b with d when he reads and when he writes. He also skips letters. Can anyone help me?
thanks Clau

25 Jul 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Some links you may visit while waiting for somebody who can help you more:

http://www.tefl.net/esl-articles/dyslexia.htm

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/classroom.htm

http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/mag28.html

25 Jul 2009     

dareka1
Japan

Be careful of judging a condition before it is medically confirmed. If this is his second language there may be other simpler problems than that, it it is his native language there could be many reasons why he is confusing letters and words. Jumping to a conclusion can be dangerous for you as a teacher.

25 Jul 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

dareka: Don �t worry I �ll se careful, but last year I talkes to a mom regarding some strange things about her son, so she took him to the doctor. The boy had I don �t know the english word for Dispraxia. I �ve been told I have an eye for this things. Thanks anyway for caring!

25 Jul 2009     

dareka1
Japan

Well, I guess you know what you are doing then. I �ll keep quiet!

There are a few times that I �ve wanted to point out that a kid needs to get their eyes checked because they are obviously having trouble seeing the whiteboard from about one meter away (as well as other obvious situations) but it �s inappropriate in Japanese culture, even if it �s correct! I just have to keep my mouth shut and ignore it.....

Dyspraxia in English (but I �d guess many people spell it with an "i"). (I hadn �t heard of it before, but sounds like the "dys" something family (dyslexia, etc...)).

25 Jul 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

dear dareka: Let me tell you that in our culture it �s not innapropiate but sometimes you do need to handle the matter very carefully cause no parent like to hear there �s sth. wrong with their kid. I haven �t shared with you that besides being a teacher I also studied to work with disabled kids. So after 4 years working in aschool with different pathologies i �ve learnt a few things!
Dyspraxia affects organization and performance of action. In my case this young boy appeared to be very clumsy his notebook spent more time on the floor than on his desk. Anyway I called his mom, and although she didn �t like what i told her she took him to the doctor. The rest is history. HAve a nice day!Hugfrom uruguay

27 Jul 2009