Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Texbooks for 1st grade     

Texbooks for 1st grade

BEA.
Belgium

Texbooks for 1st grade

Hello everybody.

I have a bit of an unusual question.

I am a teacher in Belgium and as you know i teach 1st grade. The teaching program is called Linguistic Immersion that means we can talk to the french speaking kids BUT in English. We teach everything in English. A class has 12h of English / week and 12h French /week.

For the moment they learn to read and write in French, but from January they will start reading and writing in English as well. For the moment i focus on vocabulary, we learn it using flashcards, images, sounds etc.

What i want to know is WHAT kind of textbooks would you recommend me to use with them when starting reading / writing English.

I am curious if someone could recommend some ENGLISH textbooks (either used in England/USA) but only for 1st grade.

Thanks in advance for your tips.

26 Oct 2008      

kdaniels
Turkey

Hi

I teach 1st graders and they don�t know to read and write yet. We use Bacpack 1 student book and workbook and Potato Pals readers. We use some online activities and stories. www.britishcouncil.org/kids is a very good website for young learners.

Hope this helps

26 Oct 2008     

demeuter
Belgium

I teach English in Belgium in  the second and third grade once a week. The have 1 I use the method Transit. There are also some interesting readers. More information on the Textbook transit you� ll find on www.pelckmans.be/transit
You�ll find them on the site http://www2.scholastic.com  or in Belgium www. averbode.be.

Hope this wil help.

26 Oct 2008     

izabelbello
Brazil

Hi BEA,

Take a look at "Zabadoo 1" from Oxford, it�s the I use with my students at the English Language School where I work.

The book also includes flashcards, some posters, it�s easy to use and children don�t need to write a lot.
Kdaniels suggestion about britishcouncil.org/kids is also nice, I use it all the time to complement my classes.

Have a nice week,  Izabel.

26 Oct 2008