Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > must mustn īt ideas needed    

must mustn īt ideas needed

samsunmustafa
Turkey

must mustn īt ideas needed

Hi again mates! I īm so sorry for occupying the forum page too much today.But I īm in need of some help very much.One of my friend is a trainee (prospective teacher) now and he will give a sample lesson before his principles at his school.He will explain the subject of Must-Mustn īt and he wanted me to suggest him a good game or activity to do in class.Or any other idea to make this subject so clear and make him get the job.Thanks in advance for your great and creative ideas.I īm waiting for your helpful ideas.

28 Jul 2009      

H7english
India

Hi dear,

First let him explain the modal auxiliaries must and mustn㦙:

Must (subjective obligation)

We often use must to say that something is essential or necessary, for example:

• I must go.

Structure of Must

Must is a modal auxiliary verb. It is followed by a main verb. The structure is:

subject + must + main verb

The main verb is the base verb (infinitive without "to").

Must not, Mustn īt (prohibition)

We use must not to say that something is not permitted or allowed, for example:

• Passengers must not talk to the driver.

Structure of Must not

Must is an auxiliary verb. It is followed by a main verb. The structure for must not is:

subject + must not + main verb

The main verb is the base verb (infinitive without "to").

ACTIVITY:

Let him show a picture of a person and say that he is a diabetic. Now let him show two pictures 1.Sweet 2. Medicine. Now he asks children to answer what this should person do? When he points at medicine pupils say he must take medicine and when he points at sweet the pupils say he mustn㦙 eat sweet. Similarly he can make some more exercises with pictures.

ACTIVITY 2

Prepare a chart that has so many obstacles which has on entrance and one exit. Now blind fold one child and the other child should guide him only while using must and mustn㦙

For example ; you must take right ; You must not go down ;You must move upwards etc., the other child should ensure that he/she guides the blind folded child properly and reaches the exit.

if I am helpful I am happy or else please let me know
All the best for you friend.
Bharat

28 Jul 2009     

almaz
United Kingdom

How about looking at the class rules if they īre there or creating them if they īre not. You could make them serious or humorous 
Something along the lines of:

The class agrees that - 

We must do our homework
We mustn īt eat in class
We must respect each other
We mustn �t throw things across the room 
The teacher mustn �t treat us like idiots

...and so on...

All the best

28 Jul 2009     

Rosahi
Spain

Another idea is giving the modal īmust � a name, this is, call him īthe bossy must � because he is always telling you what you have to do and what you must not do.
This is a good way to differentiate it from other verbs

I always use tricks or characters to teach grammar to my students.  Try to illustrate with drawings or invent a short story .  They enjoy it and at the same time they learn
Good luck
Rosahi

28 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

You could also write 2 lists of rules on a topic - invent rules on e. g. what they must and mustn īt do in a plane - 5/10 rules with must and 10 with mustn īt, but tell them they have to be detectives because you have smuggled in some false rules - some should be on the must list and some on the mustn īt, so they have to read carefully. E. g. here īs what I mean. Let īs pretend they īre wedding in a church rules.

MUST
1. You must be quiet.
2. You must be respectful.
3. You must wear dirty clothes.
4. You must sit down calmly.
5. You must jump around.

MUSTN īT
1. You mustn īt scream for no reason.
2. You mustn īt come on time.
3. You mustn īt say rude words.
4. You mustn īt wear an elegant outfit.
5. You mustn īt stick your chewing gum on benches.

This can be given to two teams and you can have them just find the wrong rules, or you can have them rewrite them correctly. After this you can give them a simple must/mustn īt fill-in worksheet which can be found on ESL. Sorry, I īm saying you, but it īs for your friend. Never mind...
Anita

28 Jul 2009     

samsunmustafa
Turkey

Thanks a lot to all helpful teachers.I loved these ideas.With the help of Bharat I have created my own idea.I will blindfold the volunteer students and hang some cliparts or photos on the wall that describe some verbs.And will write must or mustn īt randomly under the pictures.And the blindfolded student will touch some pictures and if he touches one picture with īmust � the other students will shout Yes you must swim, eat, be quiet etc. according to the picture.And s/he will go on touching but if s/he touches the mustn īt picture the other pupils will say No you mustn īT swim in the pool etc. and s/he will be out.Then another volunteer will come to the board.I think it īs a good idea.Thanks again Bharat you made me think of this idea. 

28 Jul 2009