Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > the (wo)man behind the avatar    

the (wo)man behind the avatar

domnitza
Romania

the (wo)man behind the avatar

I won �t wait until tomorrow, because I am sure I will have a sunny day and forget the anger I feel this evening. When Lucia received that offending message she turned to us, because we pretend to be a "family", a "community", even though a virtual one. She thought we would understand and support her. Instead of that, there are some of us who accuse her of not wearing decent clothes. I must admit, I stared at her avatar for some minutes. I saw a lovely young woman, wearing nothing that I would consider not decent. (And trust me, I am very strict when it comes to a teacher �s clothes! I have never worn blue jeans at school!)
Some even suggested that we should use common avatars to hide behind. I say we shouldn �t! I don �t have a picture of mine in the laptop to use; but I will surely look for one tomorrow. What I found is a picture of Didi being angry and showing his strong little teeth - - - perfect for my mood this night.

Lucia, as I have already told you, there is nothing wrong with your picture. There is something wrong with others.

Domnitza

28 Jul 2009      

zailda
Brazil

I completely agree with you, the idea that a man is "allowed" to say what he wants to a woman because of what she �s wearing is a sad heritage left by a sexist image of the women in general. We are not statues or dolls. We have thoughts, ideas, opinions and they must be respected. Our attitude is to be considered and not the way of wearing.

Lucia �s clothes look perfect for me and nothing in her picture could "licence" a person to perform so rude approach. Do men around the world still think that we change pans and pots for worksheets and career just to wait until one of them consider us a good target for his attention? Do they still think we are here, pretending we are doing something important, just to attract them? Do they think we wear these or those clothes only to look cute enough to deserve a man �s approach?

I sincerely don �t hope so...

Zailda

28 Jul 2009     

pitudiaz
Spain

Is my dress too short????

28 Jul 2009     

maker1
Turkey

One demented person throws a stone in to a well and hundreds of clever people try to recover it. That should not be the case. Ignore it and just say good riddance to bad rubbish. 

28 Jul 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

i �ve already made a file with those who supported my "plea".

as i think we all should be like a family supporting each other and the site doesn �t offer a way of building a "list of my friends" I decied to create my own!

this way I know wnho I am talking to :)

Thanks to you all

talk to you tomorrow

Greetings from sunny Portugal   

28 Jul 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, next time I �ll put MY photo as an avatar, but mind...I �m 62, I �m overweight and I normaly wear t-shirts and jeans. Are your stomachs strong enough?

Good night or morning it depends where you are!

28 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Marker1 for once I can �t agree more with you.
As if some people here just wait for such occasions to keep an issue the longer possible especially those related to culture and behaviour only to add fuel to the fire of misapprehension and intolerance and hatred.

Good night every body

29 Jul 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Lucia, like we say in my country: take things from who they come from. In other words, don �t make this "thing" (because I can �t even bring myself to call him a "person") feel so important, he problably is sooooooooo small and insignificant, he needs to say stupid things to bring attention upon himself. Since he has no intelligence whatsover to come  up with great material like all of us, well, he has to try to "feel" he can just pop up and write garbage!!!

Let �s keep being one big happy family, and we all know where this ... thing... can go!!!

Love, Mar!

29 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Now the whole thing is becoming ridiculous.

What the heck are you trying to prove? Why just now?

And what are you insinuating?
 "they dont believe it�s aggressive, I am not justifying them"

It would have made a big difference, if you �d said "he" and "him" instead.

There�s like a smell of prejudice coming in the air. If you see what I mrean;

29 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

They have names.
And being Algerian I am not so that stupid.
And I have feelings too.

In some issues we must make our point precise and well targeted. Otherwise it will be subject to interpretations and that won �t be but your own fault.

29 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

For the moment I see TWO. not A LOT

For your second wondering, I already gave my point.

29 Jul 2009     

1    2    3    Next >