Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teachers (American or who work in the USA): I need your help please!     

Teachers (American or who work in the USA): I need your help please!

missola
Palestine

Teachers (American or who work in the USA): I need your help please!

Hi every one!
I will make it short as possible. I moved to USA few months ago and I decided to stay here because I have so I would be able to get my citizenship (Now I have the green card only). I �m trying to look for a job but I don �t know what to do. I don �t know how I can get a job when I have a degree in English language and literature from Lebanon. If you have any idea of what should I do please tell me.

If this helps:
I have a six year experience in teaching English and I also worked and still working as a freelance translator.

thanks alot in advance

Ola

30 Jul 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Ola,
 I hate to say it but you picked a bad time to move there.  If I was back I would have to get a regular job but living in Hong Kong I can make a good living teaching English.  I don �t know many places that would hire a green card carrying English teacher.  You might have some luck finding work as a translator.  Depending on where you are, you could possibly work for companies who deal with arab clients.  You may have to resort to flipping burgers. :)

30 Jul 2009     

missola
Palestine

Thanks Spagman for your advice.
Actually I know how hard it is to get a job during this time but I need to know what I should do with my certificate. I translated it but I think this is not enough. If you can help me and tell me what should be done to my certificate, this would be very helpful.

By the way, I �m not good at all in flipping burgers.

Thanx for your help

30 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

You could try schools with many ESL students, or schools in the countryside.
But you probably need to go through official channels to get a job.
I know (or knew) that each state in the US requires or has required
teaching credentials.
My cousin who has teaching credentials in California had to apply for new
credentials when she moved to another state.
Idiotic, but that �s how it was or still is.
L

30 Jul 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Have you ever heard about TEFL Certification Programmes? If you can afford to get such a certificate it could help you, but I am not sure, sorry :(.  I hope you will find out the solution to your situation and good luck, everything will be fine!

30 Jul 2009