Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > doubts- like + ing or like + to ?    

doubts- like + ing or like + to ?

marianmanu
Argentina

doubts- like + ing or like + to ?

Dear colleagues! Help me !

I have a doubt, probably a silly one! I teach my sts that after the verbs LIKE  ( love , hate etc) the following verb take ING form. But recently I �ve seen many sentences  saying  for eg. "I like to go sgopping". Both are correct? Am I wrong?  Thanks in advance!!

1 Aug 2009      

Damielle
Argentina

As far as i know, and in general terms, both are correct. In British books i have found the first one and in American books the second.

1 Aug 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Both are correct but they have different usage..
You say 1) "She likes going shopping"..
              2) "She likes to go shopping when it �s sunny"...

The first states that the person likes this activity as general pleasure or enjoyment, the second states that there is a purpose after the TO+infinitive.. That is to say, why, when? what for?..etc

1 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I agree with Judith and I also came across the explanations that �I like doing � = I enjoy it, it is a joyful activity or an activity which gives pleasure and �I like to do � = I prefer to do it.
Some people nowadays prefer not to focus on this difference and would say that I like to swim and I like swimming - both mean absolutely the same thing - "It �s something that makes me happy or it �s an activity I enjoy"

Have a good day/evening!

1 Aug 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

I like making pancakes.

I like to make pancakes on Sunday mornings.

1 Aug 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

bOTH WAYS ARE CORRECT. BUT BE CAREFUL IF YOU TEACH ENJOY  CAUSE AFTER THIS WORD ONLY A GEROUND ( + ING) IS ACCEPTED!

1 Aug 2009     

marianmanu
Argentina

thanks a lot for your useful answers!!  you �re great!!

2 Aug 2009