Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Uploading PDF files    

Uploading PDF files

fsams
Maldives

Uploading PDF files

Dear Colleagues,

I know at present it is not possible to upload PDF files. I was wondering why that feature is not included. Perhaps it is because teachers �cannot � edit the worksheets using Adobe Acrobat?

I feel that it would be of great use for many teachers if we had the opportunity to upload and download PDF files here. I usually use Adobe to make test papers and worksheets. The advantage of using PDF is that the worksheet would look very smart and there wouldnt be any problems in orientation. In fact, if you are using Adobe Acrobat Professional, you can edit pages as well.

I just want your opinion on this matter and would like to bring this to notice to our site Admin.�

Looking forward to hearing all your fantastic views.

Happy friendship day to all!

Hugs,

Fsams

2 Aug 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

You are right when you say it is because of the editing function. Personally I edit NEARLY all the worksheets that I use because they need to be suited to my class and level. Also often there are small grammatical or spelling errors that need to be changed or it uses American English (and I use British English) etc.... I next to never download anything that cannot be edited and that goes for the worksheets that are in word but have been made in another program and  then made into a picture file for the exact same reasons and also because the text usually is not crisp and clear. Word is universal whereas Adobe Acrobat professional not everyone would have.
Great worksheets can be made using word, it just takes a little practice to get to know how to use the various tools effectively.

This is a topic that comes up quite regularly but in the end the cons far outweigh the pros.
:-)

2 Aug 2009     

fsams
Maldives

But I think the trend wil change soon!!!

2 Aug 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I am with Cheezels on this one. Except for the wordsearches, I pretty much edit or re-write every sheet I download to fit it to my classes...Adobe may open up possibilities for the creators but for people who download it it closes...
I also feel we need to differenciate between what is important and what is peripheral. True ; a beautiful worksheet is nice and it is important to present the material in an attractive way and illustrations can help understanding etc. etc.  But, ultimately the exercise itself is most important!
There is no limit to how exquisit the worksheet can be, up to musical effects and multicolored pop-ups!  But that is not the main thing! We are English teachers, not graphic artists or advertisment agents.  (some of the contributors here master Word up to such a level they could pass for graphic artists as well as being excellent teachers!! but that is, in my humble opinion, not necessary to make a good sheet!)

2 Aug 2009     

fsams
Maldives

Thanx Marion.....

I am afraid I don �t quite agree with your statement "Adobe may open up possibilities for the creators but for people who download it it closes..."

The reason is that even if you cannot edit PDF using the version that you have, you can right click the file, open with CorelDraw and simply edit it. So it doesnt close the possibilities for ppl who download...

That �s what I feel. As you said, there is of course no limit to how exquisit the stuff can be....

Anyway thanx a lot for your views.

I really appreciate it!

Tc

Fsams

2 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The only option that comes up when I right click a PDF file is the hand tool, marquee tool, select tool and some other small options for printing and turning the page clockwize.
There is no option to copy at all.
Lots of people don �t have Corel Draw - I use Paint Shop Pro and Adobe.
Adobe reader/writer is a very expensive program and not many have it.
And, as far as I can see, you STILL can �t edit it.
L

2 Aug 2009     

fsams
Maldives

What I told was actually misunderstood....I didnt tell to right click after opening it. Just without opening right click and if you have Corel Draw installed....there will be an option called �Open with �....then you can select CorelDraw and edit it.

Again if you want to convert it to a PDF after editing, you can got to File and Publish to PDF...its so simple my dears..

I hope you would try it.....by the way in my place CorelDraw and Adobe are much used and cheap as well..

But I always respect and appreciate your views :)

2 Aug 2009