Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Camping, Camping, Camping, Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Camping, Camping, Camping, Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kohaku
Japan

Camping, Camping, Camping, Camping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello everybody!!! I am in need of ideas for camping. In one week I have to go on a 3 day camping trip with my brightest students. They are all ages 7-17years old. All of these students are intermediate speakers. I am required to come up with activities that we can all do involving each age.
My most difficult project is to organize a 1.5hour or longer lesson involving "something only I can teach them." I take this to mean that they want me to discuss something involving American culture. I fail to see how I can teach a 7-10year old for 1.5hours and then quiz them about American culture. Even if they are intermediate.
Please send me any ideas you have on something you might feel are discussable. I have to make an entire presentation and then have some sort of quiz or game afterward.
I also have some fun game activities I need to organize involving the children. I have thought about trying a treasure hunt. Any variations of this idea or any others will be welcomed!!! I am at a loss since I have never organized a camping trip for little ones before. Thanks!!!!

3 Aug 2009      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Find out a bit of the history of the area. Tell stories about the area, and talk about what might have occurred right were you are camping.  � Ask questions that engage your stundents� imaginations, like, �what do you think the explorers thought when they saw that?�   Learn about plants, birds and animals in the area.

You could do some research on the history of America, such as the Gold Rush Days (Perfect for a game).  When it comes to teaching American culture the ideal thing would be to discuss this at night while roasting Smores Bars.  Nothing is more traditional than a Smores Bar at a campfire.  
You could take them on a short hike during which time each person collects something from the natural environment without destroying anything and later they have to talk about the item they found.  Sing traditional campfire songs and talk about what they mean.  
Have each student bring a journal and have them write about what they enjoyed most of the day�s activities.
Smores Recipe � Graham Wafers, chocolate (areo bars are good), marshmallows ( optional � tinfoil)  Place chocolate on graham wafers, add roasted marshmallow.  Version B.  Put marshmallows and chocolate inside of graham wafers and wrap in tin foil.  Placer on top of fire and let it melt together.

3 Aug 2009     

Kohaku
Japan

Thank you so much for your wonderful reply!!! I am very excited about taking these ideas to my employer. It has been difficult to get an idea of what to do with children of this age for 3 days. I am sure my children will love making smores. I will search all over Japan for the Graham Cracker Wafers or something very similar.

The Gold rush is also a wonderful idea. I think they will enjoy learning about that part of American history. Thanks!!!

3 Aug 2009