Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Memory Games    

Memory Games

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Memory Games

Hello my dear colleagues!
Could you, please, share some of useful memory games I could use in class to help my Ss memorize new vocabulary items faster?
Thank you very much in advance!
Hugs,
Kate.

4 Aug 2009      

Zora
Canada

Hi Kate...

I don �t know if you do this or not, but I like to have a contest between my students. I have small groups and I like to see who can remember the most words by reviewing quite often, if not daily. We do a game, I put the card down on the table and the first student (team) to say it wins the card... or I go around and ask one by one and if that student can �t guess I ask the next person, etc...

Or just remembered this one:

It´s a guessing game... I give one student hints about the card I am holding, if they guess it then they get the card, if not I ask the next student and so forth.

4 Aug 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Kate,
I do running relays with my kids and teens....I put them into two groups...get one student or me to hold my small cards (MES flashcards). I show the two opposite team members the card one after the other...they have to run back and whisper the word (apple) to their team mates and they have to write it as fast as they can on the white/blackboard.
For the younger kids, I play this game too and they love it...especially as I play loud, funky music so that the no one can hear what the other team members are saying!!
You might not be able to do that in your classroom but I �m sure you could find a way to adapt it to suit your needs.Hug
I soon find they want to learn new words just because it �s played as a competitive game.
Fiona.

4 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

thank you Zora and Fiona, your advice is very useful!
Kate.

5 Aug 2009     

Cartuxa
Portugal

Hi Kate!
My kids love playing the Vocabulary Challenge at the end of each unit, all through the school year. It �s just like a TV contest: The class is divided into two teams, each team picks a player and these two players will stand on both sides of  the teacher �s desk and will try to be the first to answer to a set of three questions. Sometimes, I hold a flashcard and they �ll name it, some others I �ll ask �How do you say...in English?�, or I �ll print a board game with the vocabulary focused at www.toolsforeducators.com, they �ll throw a die and name the picture on which they stopped. The 1st one to answer gets 1 point,if they both answer at the same time, they �ll both get 0,5 and at the end of the class we write down their mark on a chart, until June, when we make a great party to celebrate not only the winning team but also the one in 2nd place... It �s a  very competitive game, they enjoy it and they learn a lot. It �s also useful because kids who learn faster are always willing to  help their team mates so that they all can succeed. This is the way we brush up vocabulary!

P.S. - I also print some dominoes or memory game cards for them to play and  not forget vocabulary during holidays.  You can find it all at www.toolsforeducators.com

I hope it is useful!
a big hug from Portugal
teresa/cartuxa

5 Aug 2009     

lyny
Mexico

Hi, you can get two of the handouts with names form mesenglish, cut them in indiviidual cards and play memo. then with a handout without names ask ss. individual names.
You can do the same with boggles, it`s very easy.
Good luck!  Thumbs Up

5 Aug 2009