Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Controversial topics? Please, help.    

Controversial topics? Please, help.

Lana.
Ireland

Controversial topics? Please, help.

I �m looking for some controversial topics to discuss with my students and get them to express agreement/disagreement.

My Google engine isn �t working, otherwise I wouldn �t be asking.Wink

I �m thinking of Dignitas Euthanasia Group to discuss.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

11 Aug 2009      

JudyHalevi
Israel

Should an unhappily married couple stay together for the sake of the children?

What is important to you in a job?

Genetic engineering - progress or intefering with nature?

Have fun

Judy

11 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hey Lana

I put my class in 2 groups and wrote a "newspaper" article about a chemical factory wanting to build a factory right on the lake in the middle of their town.
One group was a pro group (new jobs etc)
and the other was against (nature, pollution)
They all had to argue for their side and I filmed it.

That might be an idea.

11 Aug 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thanks girls, dividing them into two groups is probably what I �m going to do. Thumbs Up

I �m looking for more specific ideas, something curious and shocking, like a piece of news, or findings...

11 Aug 2009     

me_fig
Canada

Did you see the movie, "My sister �s keeper"?  The movies wasn �t really good, but I hear it �s a better book.  The major topic in that movie:

A family has a daughter with leukemia.  She keeps needing surgery after surgery.  A mother will do anything to keep their child alive.  She decides to have a baby genetically modified to be parts for her already existing daughter.  She loves both children, but there are so many issues to arise in this situation.  What will the new daughter feel like when she is a teenager and constantly going through surgeries to keep her sister alive?  How will the parents explain this to their child, etc...etc.

Another tv show I love....love ...love...love.  The show is called "Dating in the Dark".  I often wonder if I am shallow.  I would love to go on that show just to see what I would do.  People meet in the dark repeatedly.  Then after so much time passes they get to choose which person they want to see.  First people meet and get to know eachother �s personality.  Then they have to decide if they want to meet that person again after seeing what they look like.

Good luck and if you choose either of these topics (especially the �dating in the dark�), please let me know how it went over with your students.

11 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Lana, dearie, check your pm...

11 Aug 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Thanks me_fig, it triggered looks and inner world in my mind, Anita, no pm yet...Cry

11 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Hi, Lana, I seem to be having a problem - whenever I try to pm you, my internet connection fails. The file is too big to place here at the forum, so I can either use the cafe or e-mail it to you. I �ll try pming again, and if it doesn �t work, you can pm me your e-mail...

11 Aug 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some more ideas.

11 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Lana, you �ve got mail(I hope)Thumbs Up
Anita

11 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece