Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Moderators Board - solution to the scanned and copied contributions    

Moderators Board - solution to the scanned and copied contributions

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Moderators Board - solution to the scanned and copied contributions

Goodfor all ESL members!

This is really frustrating
to see loads of ONLY scanned and copied worksheets
 on this wonderful site every single day!!

Very disappointing as usual...
Sadly, it �s a never ending story!!!

That �s not fair! 
I �d like to share with you a great tool which
 provides a free service to determine the originality of texts based on comparisons with Internet..Here is the link...

It is a magic tool! What do you think.....?

Let �s make ESL site a better place!
Hugs,Victoria

13 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

13 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Great Victoria. 
Judy

13 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Fantabulous!

13 Aug 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Heart With you, always, dear Vica! Thanks!! Heart

ggBF8.gif picture by aimeesackstein

13 Aug 2009     

Sara Almeida
Portugal

Great Idea!!Clap

13 Aug 2009     

Portugal

It is a magic tool! What do you think.....?

Dear Victoria, this is what I actually think:

I deal with plagiarism every other day: it �s a fuzzy matter. I must say I �ve never used this kind of tools, though. I can �feel� when something is plagiarized: it just doesn�t sound right, but I guess this comes from daily practice and much hard work. As the site states:

You�ve heard some teachers say that it�s always wrong to copy someone else�s work. They ruthlessly check your papers for plagiarism. Other teachers say that it�s all right as long as you give credit to the original author. Who�s right?

I do understand the concerns involved, believe me, I really do and I�m quite sympathetic with them. I do understand  they are critical for the development of this community of practice and I do understand that some strictness is only expectable at this point.

However, tools are nothing but tools. Human intelligence and discernment still prevails. So, I propose an experiment: I will upload a Native American story that I prepared for my extensive reading program last year, adapted, abridged and with a verb list added. The moderators� board is going to act, rigorously respecting the instructions they were given and check on the results.

This is going to take time, since the file is bigger than allowed here. My agenda today is quite full and I won�t be misunderstood here. So, I�ll wait some 4 hours to get a green light from the moderators� board to proceed with this experiment. If I don�t get it, I won�t proceed.

Have you all a wonderful day.

PS: Could you possibly ask the members not to add more threads today and to avoid adding big pictures, so that the thread is visible all day without constantly using the side elevator? I guess the triggering post could be edited and a request made, but it�s just a suggestion.

13 Aug 2009     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Dear Idalina!

ESL site is the most fascinating  site, which,I think, is really helpful for ESL teachers around the world!!!

I do think it �s a magic and useful tool to detect plagiarism.

It really seems that some people have no shame!
It helped me to report ONLY TODAY  20 -COPY-PASTE- SCANNED contributions!!!

Every day � a lot of new ESL members are expelled for committing plagiarism.

It always amazes me what some members will do just to get free downloads!!! 
Some people ,I �m ashamed to call them teachers,upload every day ONLY scanned and copied  materials.( with no activities added)

The basic principle of Plagiarism � is using ones ideas, and passing it on as your own ideas without citing the previous author .

Tha�t why teachers should respect other people�s hard work and not claim it is their own when it�s not!!!

The rules are clear.....RULES for contributing to this site  especially the part about copying from other websites.
Please remember:

You cannot send printables taken from other websites or publications. They must be your own creations.

We only accept ESL resources written in English language. A frame, a border or a single drawing is not an ESL resource. Remember that this website is not a clipart collection.

If your contribution is a copy from other website or from a book your account in ESLprintables will be cancelled.

If you have a worksheet that you didn �t make yourself (borrowed from a colleage teacher, for example) DON �T SEND IT. It might be taken from this or another website, and you would be banned from eslprintables.com

Don �t send useless documents.

Nobody will download them and you �ll get 0 points.
I appreciate your good intentions!
I like your worksheets and creativity!

My texts are usually  taken from internet/or books which I adapt
. And I also add some paragraphs of my own.
I don �t think, it �s cheating, when you add your own activities ...

I don �t report a worksheet/text/activity from the net
 with  added new original
activities. NEVER!
Don �t you feel sad  that there are so many copied/stolen /scanned mterials on the ESL site???? I do!

I was really surprised to discover such a laziness among so many hardworking teachers on this site!
For example, two days ago I found a member with 850 points for ONLY scanned printables from the net.

That member had 0 creativity and 0 wish to share!

Thanks for writing Idalina!
I have to start my private lesson in 5 minutes....
see you later.
best wishes ,Victoria

13 Aug 2009     

mrs_teach
Bulgaria

� I do think it �s a magic and useful tool!

13 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Victoria, I fully understand what you mean, I really do. The point of the tool is the smallest issue here. I think it can be helpful to some extent.

I must say, however, that I �ve passed beyond sadness and there are things that no longer bother me.

When I started researching on critical thinking among teachers I was more than sad and appalled by how shallow teachers � thoughts can be. So, during my long walks along the beach, I had to decide:

-Idalina, either you take a more distant, objective perspective on the subject or leave it: choose other variables. And I did: I maintained the variable in my PhD thesis, I guess others can invest on the subject and build on what I did, since  I made a big effort to come up with a tool to assess critical thinking. Since then, I dropped critical thinking and kept the other research variables.

However, could you possibly read my post again? I guess you will give it the credit of an honest attempt to help the community with this issue. If you don�t, I�ll be alright, so no harm done.

I totally, honestly appreciate what �s being done here. I wouldn �t bother, if I didn �t.

This will be my last post on the subject. The suggestion I made is still on until 4 o�clock Portuguese time. This is starting to be time consuming; I keep coming back and forth from what I�m doing.
Big Hug

13 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

Idalina , the way you �conduct �your demonstration baffles me! I would like to read your thesis on critical thinking! Is it in any ways possible?
Victoria: I can understand why you feel sad... because you are such a hard worker and helper! However I would be intersted to see how the tool reacts with one of my ws where I used part of a text from a book which I adapted and wrote exercises for! Can we try it personnally? 

13 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >