Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Interesting books    

Interesting books

Valeprimo
Argentina

Interesting books

Hi Everybody !!

I �d like to ask you for some advice. I have students in grade 5 and I want to do some reading with them. They �re currently reading Tom Saywer, but I think they get bored with it. Do you know any other book that �s modern and exciting? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Valentina.

13 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - great fantasy stuff, there �s even a movie, and two sequels to the book. My teenage sts love it!

13 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

hello Valentina! I �d also recommend �Charlie and the chocolate factory � by Roald Dahl. Good for this age and there is a movie too. Can be quite exciting for the kids of this age.
PS. Did you know that the name Valentina is very popular here in Russia? The short form of this name here is Valya Wink

13 Aug 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here is a booklist you can choose from.

13 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

One of my favorite books... my grade 2 teacher read it to the class is:

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell. The book is still in print and you can get it on Amazon. I highly recommend it. You can read the first couple of pages too if you want to check it out. 

13 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Lemony Snicket �s A Series of Unfortunate Events!

13 Aug 2009     

Portugal

I �m sorry for the inconvenience I caused on this thread. Thank you Victor, for fixing it. My deepest apologies for the trouble I got you into. So, this is what I wanted to suggest, Valentina:

Maisie and the dolphin, Stephen Rabley, Penguin Readers

The White Oryx, Bernard Smith Penguin Readers

Lost in New York, John Escott, Penguin Readers

Oh no I�m a cat, Andrew Wright, OXFORD

Dino�s day in London, Stephen Rabley, Penguin Readers

The big crocodile, Roald Dahl, Terramar

The magic finger, Roald Dahl, Terramar

Fly Away Home, Patricia Hermes, Penguin Readers
The Fireboy, Stephen Rabley, Penguin Readers

I�m with Kate about Roald Dahl - they are crazy about him and the illustrations are so cute! So I add two more titles from my ss book reviews.

I also made powerpoints and posters for the following titles, which I can send to you: Fly away home, Moby Dick, Robinson Crusoe, The fireboy, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Little women, Black beauty. They are kind of heavy for the site�s requirements.  

I�d like to show some book covers, but this is what caused the problem with my previous post.

My regards.

13 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love Stephen Rabley �s books - I often use them in my lessons together with audio. I also used Freckles by Andrew Matthews...

13 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Yes, you �re right, Anita. I forgot to mention that the new Penguin series comes with CDs. Awsome!
Sometimes I wish I could be ten again!

13 Aug 2009     

MyFairy
Argentina

I would surely choose any of Roald Dahl �s books... (The Magic Finger, The Twits, Esio Trot... these are quite short)
But there is something you should take into account... your students will love the book they are reading ONLY IF YOU LOVE IT...
We, teachers, have the power to transfer our likes and also dislikes... students can tell in our planning, the activities we design...
So I would recommend you to choose a book you like...
Let us know your choice... GOOD LUCK!
Euge

14 Aug 2009     

Valeprimo
Argentina

Thanks a lot everybody !!! You people are so nice!!!!

Of course I �ll let you know as soon as I �ve made a decision!

Vale.

14 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >