Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A personal message or a message board on your birthday?    

A personal message or a message board on your birthday?

HARIM
Morocco

A personal message or a message board on your birthday?

For these three reasons,I �d prefer to receive a PM on my birthday:
First, a PM may mean too much to me.It would mean that the person has taken the trouble to find out about my birthday.
Second,the message board is more attractive to new visitors when they open it to some teaching related discussions and debates.
Third,We love Victor and we have to abide by the rules of his site.
"Please, use the forum for Teaching related topics, and the teachers � cafe for other things." (Victor)
I �m sure it �s very clear and I don �t think he �ll have to remind us every now and then.
Cheers

15 Aug 2009      

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear, harim!
nice to hear (read) from you again.

I don �t think you �ll have an answer to your question soon?

This problem was raised several times before. The last time was yesterday. It took about six or seven hours and more than 80 posts. But, unfortunately, as every time it ended with no solution or agreement on an acceptable suggestion to suite the minimum requirements of the majority.

The first reason is that despite the thread �s length they were a handful of people taking part (no than 10). Most of them were the familiar ones on the forum. But, can a handful of members decide instead and/or control more than 200,000 members.

The second reason is that most of the people on each side (Those who think like you that the forum is only for teaching matters and those who think that it must not be as rigid and cold as this) were camping on their positions.

I, for one, have nothing against greetings but I feel annoyed with those imposing pics. Annoyed mostly because they make my browsing difficult (it takes ages sometimes to open the front page because an image is too heavy to upload) second when there are too much of these pictures, they and the greeting BTW loose  their charm.

Finally, I do agree with you that personal messaged greetings are more to be appreciated because personal and can be kept as long as we like.

Thus, I try not to take part in such posts because now it is clear that the only one who can put an end to this issue is Victor.

Regards!

15 Aug 2009     

HOLYMARY_852
India

I would like to mention one very important fact that though the site has above 2,00,000 members, only a few of them participate in the forum because more than 90% of others are just dummy members who neither contribute any ws nor share the forum. See the database of your countries in the search engine, if you have a doubt about this fact. I searched for my country, India today and everyone would be surprised to know that there are only 308 members with 1 point and above out of the total of 9460 members. I hope this would make the things clear as to why only a handful members participate in the forum.

15 Aug 2009     

rose95
Turkey

This clearly explains why even the best contributions don �t get the points they deserve.

15 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Holymary!

No one said the opposite. More, this is something we know since long ago.

Then, if you feel like making experiments LOL, take a pen and mark all the members participating in today �s threads in the forum front page (because not very often people carry on a thread after it has been pushed out of the front page.). Then, go to today �s contributions page and mark and count how many people are uploading a WS. Then compare. After this you can see my point.

And if you want to be more accurate in your research ,you have to repeat the operation tomorrow and after tomorrow and so on. You know why? Simple because most of those who upload aren �t the same everyday. But those who participate in the forum are mostly the same everyday and everynight.

Regards

15 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

I have only just discovered the teacher �s cafe. Surely that is the place for personal birthday greetings...or pm �s.

I read the forum to find out information and to share ideas with other professionals...not to read about the birthday of someone I don �t even know.

Perhaps I �m just being a grump because at my age I �m not acknowledging birthdays anymore. (Evil Smile   I �ve got too many  Evil Smile )

Cheers Joy

15 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

Instead of being happy and thankful for such thoughtful acts...there are some of you who just stay and criticize!

We should be thankful that eslprintables is a place, where teachers can discuss about anything. We should even be thankful that there is such a big participation in the forums (despite others sites like twitter and facebook)

So, someone posted a happy birthday wish. Is that what �s this all about? So what!

We are teachers, when we go out with friends, especially teacher friends, that �s all we talk about: school and students.

It �s nice to change subjects once in a while.

I think there �s some users who always have to find something negative to say...relax

15 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Tbabz

Wise words!! so much noise for birthday wishes

15 Aug 2009     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I read the discussion yesterday in the forum and am surprised to see that the topic is continuing today.

I find it very strange that members are always talking about Victor �s rules and respecting them which I think is 100% correct.  However, now that a particular rule doesn �t suit them, there is a discussion about why this rule doesn �t need to be followed.

Victor set up the cafe specifically for all the birthday greetings and pictures and personal photos etc that people wanted to send.  In his words: 

" Please, use the forum for Teaching related topics, and the teachers � cafe for other things."

And:

The teachers � cafe

This is the place where we can chat, share funny images, send greetings, wishes, etc.

Nobody said yesterday that they didn �t like the birthday greetings or pictures etc only that they should be in the cafe as Victor has requested.  Why is it that on this occasion Victor �s wishes aren �t being respected?

15 Aug 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I can �t see the point in making so much fuss about posting a birthday wish Stern Smile Is it bad to say some kind words to our colleagues?? Shocked Who said this?! Eslprintables is a valuable website because here teachers care for each other even if this care is shown with the help of little wishes or nice pictures or kind and encouraging words.
Someone mentioned that posting such messages is not care but just the opposite... hmm, sorry but I find this idea weird and see no connection between distress and b-day wishes.
Please, stop criticizing and SMILE! Big smile
I more than agree with tbabz, so there is no need to say anything else. Just relax and try to find a  positive side in everything!

15 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear kate!

Why are most her diverting the topic?
Who is that who wants to prevent people from exchanging greetings and jokes and any funny stuff they like?
Who is that who is saying that the site must be other than the way you describe it, Tbabz?

No, one.

The only question is "What is the use of the "Caf�" if people continue exchanging those friendly feelings and expressions on the forum?

Some may say because not many people visit the Caf�. Ok! But doesn �t this mean that these people are simply not interested in it?
And if it is the case why some are trying to impose themselves to the majority?

15 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >