Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > the new school year    

the new school year

anitarobi
Croatia

the new school year

Hi, fellow teachers!

Since many of us are soon starting the new school year, I �ve come across something that made me smile...

Back to school

Little Johnny had finished his summer vacation and gone back to school. Two days later his teacher phoned his mother to
tell her that he was misbehaving.

"Wait a minute," she said. "I had Johnny with me for three months and I never called you once when he misbehaved."

I hope there are things you are looking forward to with the coming of the new school year. Big smileI know I �m looking forward to all the new preschoolers I may get this year, and especially to see all my old students who spent the 1st part of  summer trying to get into a high school of their choice. I �m also looking forward to getting the FCE exam results for some of my sts, although dreading them tooWacko...
I don �t usually make myself any promises for the new school year, except for always praying for patience (especially with parents), but I was wondering if you have any rituals, promises you make to yourself or whatever that help you get into the new school year all energetic and motivated?
Anita

PS: If you haven�t, pls check Mar�s post on friendship below!

16 Aug 2009      

eng789
Israel

Hi Anita,
I loved the "Little Johnny" thing and will pass it on to my teachers.

My sister-in-law is a high school math teacher in Canada, and she always says that her trick is - not to smile in class until Christmas.  It helps with discipline.

Unfortunately, I can �t do it. 

I try enter my classes with a positive attitude ( even the difficult ones) - I �m kind of bouncy and happy and tell tem how happy I am that they are my class and what wonderful things we will be doing/learning together.  Then I ask them what they expect of me as their teacher and tell them what I expect of them.  Before I leave I tell them I enjoyed teaching them and I am looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.

With parents, always start with something positive about their kid.  Make sure they know that you care bout him and want to help.  This usually warms them up enough so that you can talk to them.  But you are right,  it requires more patience to deal with parents these days than you need for their kids.

16 Aug 2009     

Mariethe House
France

i always start my new school year with a fresh mind ( i have been teaching for 37 years and this is the last one!!) I always  think ofsome of the faces I left behind in June and it always puts a smile on my face.... Just now, I can remember a little boy (12 years old) who said to me one day when I was threatening the class of punishment because they were so lively ,( but that was a joke!) And hE said with a huge smile on his freckled face: " Miss we know you won �t do it because you love us so much!!" : and i just couldn �t answer!!!

So I am quite happy to meet the kids again and as for the difficult ones, I know we always manage to find a solution as the school is pretty small.

As for parents, I am not too worried either because I can count on the Head to deal fairly with
tricky parents.... He will always be fair ... So, apart from the fact that I will have to get up earlier and stand a lot, and do marking !!!!I am quite happy to go there for the last year!

16 Aug 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Anita! I really enjoyed reading your Little Johnny story, it was so funny, but oooohhh sooooo true!!!! These little rascals can really "feel" when we love them, and even though we might want to strangle them, twist their neck three times, and see how far we can throw them, deep inside, they know we really care about them. Discipline is sometimes hard, because as eng789 says about her sister, and trying not to smile until Xmas, if you lack control over  your class the first days... weeks.. month, oh boy, you �re in for trouble. So, I just try to give a little, take a little... Do smile and have fun, but without losing control, because then it �ll be very hard to regain!!! I �m very excited about starting the new school year, this year, I �ll be teaching 6th grade in one school, and being English Coordinator AND teacher of the advanced level of our 3rd grade secondary students... sooooooooooo I �m going to have my hands pretty full!!! (but I just love it!!!)

A big hug to all!!! and happy new school year!!!!!

Mar

17 Aug 2009