Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > I īm sorry. That īs all right.    

I īm sorry. That īs all right.

David Lisgo
Japan

I īm sorry. That īs all right.

Hi,

The textbook target is "I īm sorry." "That īs all right." The EFL students are 8-10 years old and have very little English. I īm busy making some īmishap � role playing cards where the children will act out a situation according to the visual clues and use the above dialogue. The graphic should give you a better understanding of what I īm saying.

My lesson plan seems so sparse, but I know how important it is to be able to say "sorry" and it īs not something which comes naturally to all children. 

If you have any advice on how to teach this simple target or further ideas on producing materials for it, then please share them.

16 Aug 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

What a wonderful topic to do with kids - I don īt know any teaching material now, but I have a son who loved learning about saying sorry using a Winnie The Pooh picture book about saying I īm sorry - it īs really good, because it teaches you to mean it when you say it, otherwise it doesn īt count. Perhaps it could help...
Anita

16 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Dave,
Great topic.  Manners are so lacking these days.  One thing I like about the UK is the frequent use of "please" and "thank you".  Most people in Hong Kong don īt use "sorry" or "excuse me" but just push their way through or are oblivious to the fact that they just ran over your foot with their pull cart. Angry  I was able to teach a manners class last summer and what I did to role play was have the kids (K1-K3) to pretend to be waiting for the subway train or queue up to get on a bus.  I would have them bump into each other lightly and then respond with "I īm sorry/That īs allright". I īm just glad none of them shoved the other. lol  I would try to put them into situations where they would need these phrases. I know Japan is much more polite than most places so that may be a challenge. A good problem to have. GL

16 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thanks for your encouragement Anita and GL. Now I feel on track and doing something worthwhile.  I īll try out my new cards tomorrow and see how the students like them.

Getting late, so signing off now.
David (or Dave is all right).

16 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I think it īs a wonderful idea... Maybe it would be reaaally great if you could upload a whole set of simple "minidialogues" for the youngest kids...
how about:
How are you? Fine thanks.
Can I have a .......? Yes, of course.
etc... : :-D

Good luck!

16 Aug 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

"minidialogues" for children. I remember when I first started teaching how difficult it was to teach children. I had been working among adults in various occupations for over 20 years, the hardest thing was to find the beginning when it came to teaching children. So, yes. "minidialogues", with materials, may been useful to others. I īll try a few and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.
David

17 Aug 2009