Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just a thought...    

Just a thought...

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Just a thought...

I was just thinking, after looking at a particular post here, that I may have some useful info for some of you teachers here.

In Ireland, our Irish students have to take State Exams at Junior and Leaving Certificate level.

Junior Cert 15/16 - English paper equivilent to FCE

Leaving Cert 17/18 - English paper equivilent to  ??? maybe CAE, I �m not actually sure!!

If you go to www.examinations.ie you can download the past exam papers, which may provide useful reading passages, images or ideas for essay writing.

when you go to examinations.ie this is what you do:

There are a list of bullet pointed links in red, choose the 4th one, Examination Papers/Marking Schemes

Then tick the box asking you to agree to terms/conditions.

then please select �Exam Papers � in the dropdown menu

then choose year - each year will provide you with new exercises

then choose an exam: Junior or Leaving Certificate (Not Leaving Certificate applied, although you can browse through them if you like)

then finally the subject.  Now this is the beauty of this link.  You see it will help us all with English, but if there are any teachers out there teaching, for example, Maths, Science, Biology through English, this site will really help you out alot too!!

Hope it comes in useful!!

Sarah

16 Aug 2009      

arkel
Ireland

what a great idea! If the reading list for English is there, it will give good ideas about suitable material at each level. Ahhh! memories, memories:) Thanks Sarah HugRosemary
P.S. I owe you a pm!

16 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Thank you, Sarah, great info, but I cannot imagine any of my esl students doing an exam on Shakespeare.

Still, I will use some of it.

Hugfrom Israel.
Judy

16 Aug 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

Reading list is on that site, under the section �syllabus �

16 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks, Sarah, for this link to exam materials. We have a different exam but I could use some of the tasks.
Sorry for my ignorance but is English the 1st or 2nd language in Ireland?

16 Aug 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

It is the first language of Ireland, and has been for quite some many hundreds of years now!!  But our native language is Irish, or Gaelic/Gaeilge.  You will find that language on that webpage actually, if you hit the GAEILGE button at the top.

It is spoken and understood by many Irish people, and in some small remote areas of the west of Ireland it may even be spoken as the first language, but in general, English is spoken.

Students in Ireland still study Irish language, but there have been debates in recent years about whether or not their time would be better spent learning a �used � language, such as French or Spanish for example.  Irish students do study modern foreign languages too, but it has been thought that by getting rid of Gaeilge, there would be more time for a more �useful � language.

This has been a topic that alot of people have strong feelings about - it is very controversial to suggest to a country that they abandon their native tongue.

16 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

Veery interesting, Sarah...
Well, I would be able to pass the Junior Cert only :-)
As I say... I am a teenager since  I was 13... not getting old any more...
Wink
Approve

17 Aug 2009     

Dimitrys
Argentina

Thank you sooooooo much!!!! It is very useful for me!!!! thanks again.... :)

17 Aug 2009     

sandrami60
Colombia

Hey, that �s really great!!! Thanks a lot.

17 Aug 2009