Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Linguistic problem :P    

Linguistic problem :P

lady_alicze
Poland

Linguistic problem :P

Could anyone help me with this stuff?

This is the question to answer:

You were supposed to meet a very important visitor at the airport.
Due to misunderstanding you are one hour late and you cannot find him?

But I have some problems (red font)

First I go/ am going to the information desk to check whether my visitor has left/ left a massage for me. There, I find out that no one asked/has asked for me and left/hasn�t left me a note. I m getting a little bit disappointed but I don �t give up. I �m asking /I ask the lady from information to say through the speaker that I�m looking for my visitor and waiting for him at the information desk. All in all, everything ends happily because it finds out that this important guest was also late since he had missed his flight.

Thank you in advance Smile

18 Aug 2009      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Grammar is not one of my strong skills but here goes.

First I go/  to the information desk to check whether my visitor has left/  a massage for me. There, I find out that no one /has asked for me and /hasn�t left me a note. Im getting a little bit disappointed but I don �t give up.  /I ask the lady from information to say through the speaker that I�m looking for my visitor and waiting for him at the information desk. All in all, everything ends happily because it finds out that this important guest was also late since he had missed his flight.

18 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I think it could be as follows but still have some doubt as far as the situation description is concerned.

First, I go to the information desk to check whether my visitor has left (recent <past> action with effect in the present) a massage for me. There, I find out that no one  has asked (recent <past> action with effect in the present) for me and (I think OR is better here) left (=has left to avoid repition) me a note. I get ( start getting is better I think) a little bit disappointed but I don �t give up. (So,) I ask the lady from information to say through the speaker that I�m looking for my visitor and waiting for him at the information desk. All in all, everything ends happily because it finds out that this important guest was also late since he had missed his flight.

18 Aug 2009     

derjaaa
Turkey

"All in all, everything ends happily because it finds out that this important guest was also late since he had missed his flight"

I agree with goodnesses and also in my humble opinion, this part needs some revising, too. why is past �tense used at the very end while all the athers are in the present form? if so, then all the previous sentences should be in the past form, as well and regarding the situation, I guess, it makes more sense when it �s past rather than present. and "I find out" or "it turns out" is much better here.

18 Aug 2009